Is dd1 achieving expected standards for reading in Y2?

(7 Posts)
QueenMolotov Fri 08-Jan-16 11:25:37

I've posted here before regarding my dd1's reading and writing.

Basically, she had a really bad time and struggled terribly with reading and writing in Y1. She failed her phonics test at the end of that year and she has been receiving extra support since starting Y2.

She has just started reading Oxford University Press (I don't know if this is the same as Oxford Reading Tree?) and is now on level 9. Is this a good level for her to be on now by this point in Y2? (She turns 7yo next month). Her teacher was out of the class yesterday so I was unable to ask.

mrsjskelton Fri 08-Jan-16 11:34:30

I'm a Year 1 teacher:
I don't use that particular type of book so can't comment on the level. If your child hasn't passed the phonics screening (June 2015) then at the time she wasn't at the "required" standard. That doesn't mean to say that she now isn't. I would expect a child at this stage in Year 2 to be reading fluently with an appropriate text but experiencing a good level of challenge which might look like "stumbling". It's as much about comprehension of the text too though so she can share harder texts such as the ones you might read with her. I'd talk to the teacher about her phonics level and what her targets are for reading. Teachers use a variety of tools to assess children's reading including: phonics, Year 2 national curriculum objectives, high frequency words, comprehension tasks. Of course children only do their best if they are reading DAILY with you at home - not including you reading to her too! With ever-expanding class sizes and a lack of support, I can only read with each child in my class once a week - parents have to do their bit too!

irvine101 Fri 08-Jan-16 11:48:18

This link was posted by other poster the other day and has old nc levels, but shows expected book band for year group. Looks like she is in expected
range if she is level9. Hope it helps.

www.beckstone.cumbria.sch.uk/curriculum/reading_levels.pdf

mrsjskelton Fri 08-Jan-16 11:54:25

Just be aware that old NC levels don't really marry up to new curriculum objectives so please still speak to her teacher OP!

QueenMolotov Fri 08-Jan-16 13:40:24

Thank-you both for your messages. I will aim to either speak with dd's teacher later or arrange a meeting. Dd does read to me 5 or 6 out of 7 days per week. The fluency of her reading is improved significantly since September, so I have every confidence in her current teachers.

mrz Fri 08-Jan-16 16:46:53

As others have said the class teacher is best placed to advise you.
Book bands and levels are a bit misleading as a child must demonstrate lots of reading skills when reading rather than just be reading a certain set of books to achieve expected standards.

irvine101 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:28:12

What mrz says is really true. My ds was a good decoder, but really bad with comprehension. We used this site to improve it. It takes about 5~10 minutes, and topics are interesting. Your DD might enjoy it.

www.readtheory.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now