Footpaths and distances for admissions

(7 Posts)
ToBeAChadsman Tue 05-Jan-16 21:24:11

The admissions policy of my local council says that to calculate distances from home to school they use a GIS based on the Ordnance Survey Integrated Transport Network (ITN) and Urban Paths Network (UPN). Can anyone tell me how I can check whether a particular footpath is part of that network, so I can tell whether the distances Google shows me are anywhere near how the council will measure it?

tiggytape Tue 05-Jan-16 22:23:36

Whilst a map can help you gauge roughly if you are in the right ballpark regarding distances, if we are talking about a matter of metres making a difference or specific paths being included on the database, you will need to contact the council and ask.

This is because each area applies its own criteria as to what constitutes a valid walkway and even if the council is using a database of agreed routes, you won't necessarily know which routes in your area are excluded unless you ask.

For example some areas won't include use of an alleyway if it is unlit or any paths across private land even if literally everyone living in the area uses them daily and walking the long way round adds metres to your official distance. On the UPN for example, it seems to indicate public purpose built paths will be included but that casts doubt on shortcuts across parks for example. However it is definitely worth checking and getting an answer in writing (in case of dispute later) if your route will include anything other than very obvious and recognised roads.

Inkymess Tue 05-Jan-16 22:56:02

Definitely call the LA as only they will have correct answer you need. They may even be able to tell you what your distance is

admission Tue 05-Jan-16 23:23:30

Speak to the LA. I can tell which LA it is by the wording and you need to talk to them to confirm what is on and is not on the UPN. They should be able to tell you which paths local to your residence are allowed.

ToBeAChadsman Wed 06-Jan-16 15:59:28

Thanks for the replies. Phoned the LA but they couldn't give me an answer over the phone and couldn't guarantee an answer before the application deadline if I emailed them. Should have thought of this earlier!

The path in question only makes a difference of 0.1miles to one school but it's the most oversubscribed school on our shortlist. When I posted yesterday I was mistakenly thinking it made a difference to 2 other schools too, so it's not as crucial as I first thought.

tiggytape Wed 06-Jan-16 16:18:12

That's annoying but don't let this delay your application. Get your application form in soon expressing your true order of preference. But also email the council just so you have it on record you inquired should anything come up around that later eg if there's a wider issue with paths and distances.
You can try to ask to speak to admissions (the people who answer the initial calls often aren't the admissions staff) to see if that helps get a quicker answer but don't let pursuing it cause you to be late to apply overall.

ToBeAChadsman Wed 06-Jan-16 20:58:08

Wasn't even contemplating letting it delay my application! Though you're not the first to assume that - the person I spoke to kept repeating it too even though I said the first time that I would. Guess too many people miss the deadline for things like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now