guided reading - how to learn vocab from reading the books?

(4 Posts)
computer1000 Wed 30-Dec-15 09:19:48

I am looking for ideas how to use reading books for extending/ remembering interesting vocab. I ask my DS to read then to write adjectives/ adverbs in his book. are there any other strategies?

ReallyTired Wed 30-Dec-15 10:02:39

I think children have to hear words used in several contexts before they learn and understand a word. I suggest you try using the words in conversation. If that is not possible you could get your child to write sentences using the target word.

mrz Wed 30-Dec-15 10:16:01

We don't have guided reading but our pupils are encouraged to "collect" new words found in books they read, writing them down, finding the meaning and using them in sentences - I give a star for each word correctly used, either written or verbal. The person with the most stars gets a small reward ( I find the party pack items from a supermarket good for this).

irvine101 Wed 30-Dec-15 11:12:07

If my ds encounters new word, I ask him to look it up, and make his own sentence with it.(verbally.) Now he makes his list of new words in the list section of electronic dictionary, but used to write down in the notebook and make his own words book with meanings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now