Was sort of maths should a six year old be able to do

(16 Posts)
PagesOfABook Sun 27-Dec-15 22:41:52

DS has some special needs - but no learning difficulties. I'm trying to help him with his schoolwork so he won't fall behind.

I think maybe he's behind with maths - I'm not sure what he should be able to do? He turned 6 in September. He can only reliably count to about 30 or 40.

He can add figures in his head like 4 + 3, 9 + 2 or 6 + 3.

Sometimes he's careless and adds things up incorrectly.

He can subtract 5 - 1 or 9 - 1. He can also subtract using 2 but usually only with low value numbers like 5 - 2.

I'm trying to teach him number bonds - the different ways of making up the number 4 or 5 etc.

He was very slow too to take to reading but with a lot of work is now above average.

I will be talking to his teacher next month but just wondering does it sound like he's far behind in maths.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 27-Dec-15 22:47:02

No, remember you teach method not answers - so tjey know what take away means.
You need to - weigh, guess, look, measure walls, compare size shape, weight, compare 3 objects, sort by size colour, know hour and half hour on the clock, understand iver under, next too, behind.
Keep talking maths language, talk in halves, mm,cm, kg etc.
You have 6 mins til x, 12 and a half mins til y - mix it up -

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 27-Dec-15 22:48:07

Also count in twos, fives and 10`s.
Talk about doubles.

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 28-Dec-15 00:33:42

My DD was worse than that in yr 1 and now, in yr 5, is meeting expectations and multiplying fractions happily. She didn't take off til yr 4. We did loads and loads of very very repetitive basic maths, and luckily DD has always tried hard. We still do 10 mins mental maths in the car on the way to school every morning, tables, number bonds, doubling and halving, and now she's older things like percentages. In yr 1 we were at the add 1 and take one away stage and did lots of counting up and down. Then add 2, add 5, add 10 etc. Her school gives her two extra maths sessions a week, starting half an hour earlier to help her progress in a small group. method is important but solid rote learning of basic maths facts, number bonds and then tables when older, does really help and speeds them up a lot in being able to answer questions. I'm not trying to minimise the importance of method, but think good knowledge of facts is important too.

ReallyTired Mon 28-Dec-15 01:58:34

Young children need to understand maths and may benefit from Lego or using counters to understand number bonds. This is a good book

www.amazon.co.uk/Earlybird-Kindergarten-Mathematics-Textbook-Standards/dp/0761470166

It has lots of hands on practical ideas to help with understanding. The book may seem very easy, but it gives a really good foundation. Different colours of Lego can help with understanding that 6+4=4+6 but 6-4 is not the same as 4-6. Making a bracelet with ten beads gives a visual understanding of what number bonds are. Counting or grouping objects helps maths.

mrz Mon 28-Dec-15 05:42:51

We work on instant recall of number bonds (NC says to 20 but if he knows number bonds for all numbers to 10 he can use this for teen numbers once understands place value). Rather than working on subtraction as a separate thing teach him that if he knows 3+4=7 he can use the fact to answer 7-4= and 7-3= (Fact families).
He needs to know doubles and halves up to 10.
Counting to 100 and back to zero.
Counting in 1s,2s,5s and 10s.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 28-Dec-15 09:43:36

Have a look at a numicon set on line amazon - basic box is £30 and worth the money - dont bother with tje huge set. I love it as its visual and helps with adding number bonds counting in 5 and 10 etc.

Ferguson Mon 28-Dec-15 15:59:08

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:
ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Artandco Mon 28-Dec-15 16:06:06

My Ds is the same age. His homework recently maths wise is things like:

21+7 =x
X -10= 30
7+ 8= ? , 15-7=?, 8= 15-?

He counts with 3 numbers up to 100, ie 21+34+11=. They are suppose to work out how to round up or down and count in tens to make easier. So for above do 20+30+10=60, then do 1+4+1=6 and add the totals together

He does multiplication in x2,x3,x5 and x10

PagesOfABook Mon 28-Dec-15 17:24:48

art Does your DS do sums like 15 -7 in his head or does he use a number line or something. How quick does he get the answer? Does he tend to get the right answers quickly

I'm hoping I can get my DS up to average at least with his maths. His reading was not very good last August but a good bit above average now

I feel for some reason that it will be harder to catch up with maths because maybe it's the type of thing you're naturally good at or not

irvine101 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:41:26

These are free websites:

www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/mathmagician/cathymath.html

www.mathplayground.com/number_bonds_II.html

www.arcademics.com/

mrz Mon 28-Dec-15 18:10:30

In the Maths programme of study it talks about memorising and reasoning about number bonds in several forms so knowing that 7+8 =15 means that you can reason that 15-7=8 and that 8=15-7

There's a bigger emphasis on knowing as 100 squares, number lines and counters etc are no longer allowed in the new KS1 tests (SATs)

Artandco Mon 28-Dec-15 18:23:29

Pages - he can do 15-7 in his head quickly, and could do easier large numbers in his head ie 50-15. But would need a number square for say 43+39.

Kanga59 Mon 28-Dec-15 22:08:20

If you have an ipad, I'd recommend the app Maths 3-5. There is also Maths 4-6 but start with the other one. its a red icon and costs about £8

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Tue 29-Dec-15 09:59:20

mrz that's useful to know about the NC & number bonds to 20 as we were told to work on that with DD and I didn't understand why.
OP we have a 1-100 snakes & ladders board which is laid out (obviously) as a 100 square. Rather than letting DD be on (say) 49, roll a 5 and count on, we get her to guess & then see if she's right. We also play with two di as that means she is constantly practising adding small numbers. She has improved noticeably over the holidays.

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Tue 29-Dec-15 10:03:08

PS at a Y1 party recently, I was amazed and reassured at how varied the answers were to 19+3 and 18+2. Before you think that this some maths birthday party, it wasn't! The children were in teams &, with one game to go, one team was on 18 and another on 19 and the person organising the activities called out the scores from the final game and got them to add them. Yes, the children were all excited but it took several attempts to get to 20 and 22!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now