Teacher reducing child to tears

(15 Posts)
Mamamoose1 Fri 04-Dec-15 23:57:58

Hi, I was called in after school today because there had been an incident at school. Basically, another boy in my child's class told the teacher that my son had been poking him and pulling faces during assembly, when my son was approached, he denied poking him and pulling faces and said he had only tapped him. The teacher didn't know who was telling the truth, so resorted to asking the other children in his class, who saw nothing, so asked the year 6 children. Basically, my son admitted to poking the boy, but only because he was scared what would happen and didn't want to be sent to the head teacher if the teacher had thought he had lied. Throughout the conversation my son was in floods of tears, he told me he didn't do what the boy had said and only tapped him, he said the boy in question lies often. If the teacher hadn't seen it, does she have the right to point the finger. There were other things said, which I don't think were dealt with how they should have been, but we are going to discuss that with the teacher next week. Do you think this has been dealt with the right way?

WorraLiberty Sat 05-Dec-15 00:01:34

How old is he?

Why did he tap him?

What did the year 6 kids say?

Was there a particularly strong punishment that reduced him to floods of tears?

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 05-Dec-15 00:52:08

What a mountain out of the smallest molehill (on all sides).

I suspect your son has made things worse for himself with his 'floods of tears' act. The teacher had to respond to that by finding out what happened.

Presumably he is in Y5, going on the most common assembly seating arrangements. By which point he should know not to annoy other children in assembly.

You need to make sure you don't blow a fairly stupid, run of the mill incident out of proportion.

Witchend Sat 05-Dec-15 02:36:45

I don't think there really is any difference between tapped and poked.

GraciesMansion Sat 05-Dec-15 02:53:55

Sounds like he shouldn't have been doing whatever he was doing and some kids cry when they're in trouble. You can't expect the teacher to not sort out the incident just because he was crying! Mountain out of a molehill, leave the teacher to get on with it.

BastardGoDarkly Sat 05-Dec-15 02:59:38

Failing to see how it was the teacher that reduced him to tears?!

differentnameforthis Sat 05-Dec-15 04:30:31

Doesn't sound like the teacher "reduced" him to tears, more he was upset that he was in trouble. Which is understandable, but not the teacher's fault.

I think, with the teacher not knowing what really happened, she should have told your son to keep his hands to himself & separated the children.

Asking the whole class, then the yr6s what happened just prolonged the issue, and obviously achieved nothing, which probably made your son even more upset.

My daughter has a 'friend' who just "taps" her. It irritates her & she finds it really distracting.

Your son needs to keep his hands to himself.

irvine101 Sat 05-Dec-15 06:24:23

Why did your ds "tapped" other child?
Was there any good reason for it?
I think if other child was annoyed because your DC "tapped" him during assembly, I think he is allowed to tell the teacher, otherwise it may not stop.

Nanofone Sat 05-Dec-15 06:27:15

I'm sorry but he shouldn't have been tapping or poking. The crocodile tears obviously worked a treat though.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sat 05-Dec-15 06:30:07

Tapping is poking.
Most kids cry when in trouble.

wannabestressfree Sat 05-Dec-15 06:36:13

I think your annoyed at the wrong person....

irvine101 Sat 05-Dec-15 06:37:30

"he said the boy in question lies often" and you are so sure that your ds doesn't? But he didn't lie about your ds disturbing him.

It may sound silly, but my DS find it really annoying when somebody keeps distracting him when he doesn't want to engage.

SuffolkNWhat Sat 05-Dec-15 06:44:04

Tears at this age are usually a sign of guilt (unless you have a particularly sensitive child), if he was innocent he'd probably have the same reaction my Y5 class would of "I didn't do it Miss" and looking confused.

teeththief Sat 05-Dec-15 08:45:37

If the teacher hadn't seen it, does she have the right to point the finger

She didn't point the finger though did she, she tried to find out what had happened. I agreed with a PP this is a mountain out of a molehill. What happened when he confessed to poking?

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 05-Dec-15 08:55:09

He won't "tap" anymore now will he, hopefully.

Job done.

Tell him to keep his hands to himself in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now