Flu vaccination at school?

(7 Posts)
CrumbledFeta Mon 19-Oct-15 09:05:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdithWeston Mon 19-Oct-15 09:14:15

"But it's not really is it?"

I think you're wrong about that. You count the number of flu related hospital admissions in the flu season in the thousands per week. Not having had the flu before is no indicator of future susceptibility.

That said, if you have an immediate family member who had a severe reaction, you should go and see your GP for specific advice for your individual circumstances.

If the reaction was to the jab, and your DC have had the school sniff without problems in the past, then I doubt very much if will be contra-indicated for them.

tabitha8 Mon 19-Oct-15 09:36:52

Perhaps it depends on who is being admitted to hospital. How many of them are normally healthy children age 6/7?

Schrodingersmum Mon 19-Oct-15 10:03:28

Its not an injection for children it's a nose spray, and far more people have a major health complication due to the actual virus than the vaccine
Its your child you decide but balance the statistics fairly, serious vaccine reaction 1 in 100,000 chest infection/ pneumonia/ asthma attack post flu 1 in 10! They dont call primary children super spreaders Without good reason

EdithWeston Mon 19-Oct-15 10:16:46

More stats than you can shake a stick at in this HPA report

They don't give such narrow age brackets, but about 11% of outbreaks were in schools, and there's a graph showing the attack rate is highest in the <29s. But it covers all contacts with NHS, not just hospitalisation. So perhaps someone else will know better.

VocationalGoat Mon 19-Oct-15 10:24:08

It's your choice OP. If you don't feel good about it, don't do it. Simple as that. Is there a risk of any harm to your kids courtesy of this nasal vaccination? There is risk in everything we do. But the risks associated with this vaccination are so miniscule.
Inform yourself, read the facts, take risks into account and make a decision you feel good about. Or go with your gut.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 19-Oct-15 10:58:39

I think there are separate figures for PICU occupancy somewhere Edith. From what I remember a significant proportion of children admitted to ICU with flu had no pre-existing risk factors.

Having seen a family member nearly die from flu and take nearly a full year to recover properly it's not an illness I would dismiss easily. However if your children might be at increased risk from the vaccine or nasal spray it might be worth talking to an HCP about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now