11+ tuition help

(14 Posts)
aimhigh2017 Tue 15-Sep-15 09:45:31

Hi

I am new to the forum and need some advice on 11+ - I hope I have posted in the right place

My son has just started year 5 and am looking to place him on a 11+ course

I live in Bucks Chalfont st peter and I have heard about AE tuition in slough through friends- I was too late for the 1 year course but may have a chance at getting on the 9 months course which bookings will be taken for soon

I also looked at some local courses ?? there is teach it right in Gerrards cross and also Susan Daughtrey courses in Chalfont

Does anyone have any experience with these or with any other ones for that matter as it seems really hard to get a good opinion about which would be a good one to go to

The costs are around £2000 for the courses and include materials, weekly class, mock tests etc with class sizes ranging from 10-30 depending on which course you go for

Also in terms of materials which are the best ones to get- I have seen the CGP course materials as well as the bonds 11+ - are there any must have tuition books I should get to work on with my son as he prepares for the 11+

Thanks for your help and advice in advance

Jellyandjam05 Tue 15-Sep-15 11:15:42

Hi, I am not in your area or have experience of these courses but try the eleven plus forum (I just googled that to find it)!
There are lots of people with good advice and experience on there.

sparkles18 Thu 17-Sep-15 15:05:42

We have just used KSOL for our DS in the West Midlands, they have a branch in Aylesbury or you can do an online course with them which is what we did. You can register for free at the moment and it costs £45 per month. It's £145 per month if you add 2 hours of tuition each week at the centre where it is 5 children per tutor.

tricot39 Thu 17-Sep-15 18:56:51

If you haven't done this already, make sure that you find out what type of exam he will be sitting and the provider for the local authority. Although general curriculum revision is useful, closer to the exam preparations should concentrate on familiarisation with the exam type. You need to check the tutor is working towards the relevant exam otherwise you might not get good value for money. Good luck

VikingVolva Thu 17-Sep-15 19:08:27

Frankly, that sounds a pretty pointless approach, as it'll be little more than a largish homework club with (overpriced) tests.

You would be far better off hiring a tutor for one-to-one.

MumTryingHerBest Thu 17-Sep-15 19:10:10

Bucks 11 plus forum:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=12

iftikhar Mon 16-May-16 09:30:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catmuffin Mon 16-May-16 09:35:12

You provide tuition in English? shock You really shouldn't.

amidawish Mon 16-May-16 09:52:09

iftikhar your grammar is terrible. Please don't teach 10 year olds English.

iftikhar Mon 16-May-16 10:43:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amidawish Mon 16-May-16 11:05:16

They are not harsh. They are true and fair remarks. These tests are competitive and tough. You may (or may not, I don't know) be a good maths tutor but English is clearly not your first language.

These sentences/phrases are incorrect
- I am well-experienced Maths graduate
- My several students
- I have taught students from the world-famous schools including the Eton College, the ACS International School, and City of London School for Boys.

PatriciaHolm Mon 16-May-16 11:19:07

Reported, if only to save some poor student being subjected to such appalling tuition.

MumTryingHerBest Mon 16-May-16 11:23:39

iftikhar how many children have you tutored (resulting in a place allocaton) for the Bucks 11 plus since it changed to CEM?

Also you do realise that even if a DC scored 100% in the Bucks 11 plus exam, they may still not get a place at a Bucks Grammar School?

Ricardian Mon 16-May-16 11:23:40

No one found any mistake

Oh, the irony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now