How is progress measured?

(14 Posts)
wishiwasonthebeach Thu 13-Aug-15 13:31:54

My son's report didn't have any form of level marked on it, I'm aware that that's the new system nationally. Without NC levels how will parents know how much progress a child is having and how do they compare with the average child?

CharlesRyder Thu 13-Aug-15 17:36:12

You were supposed to have been VERY confused by levels? Is that not the case? <glares murderously at Mr Gove>

spanieleyes Thu 13-Aug-15 18:12:28

Every county will have their own method.
Every city/town will have their own method
Oh, and every school will have their own method.

So much less confusing don't you think confused

CharlesRyder Thu 13-Aug-15 18:20:14

Right brouhaha

wishiwasonthebeach Thu 13-Aug-15 18:43:04

It's not that I didn't find the previous method confusing, but at least there was something.

mrz Fri 14-Aug-15 16:10:13

There are clear expectations for every year group (there weren't previously) how many of these expectations can your child meet at the end of the year they couldn't at the beginning ... Tests the progress

2512BC Fri 14-Aug-15 17:09:32

But mrz if you reach the end of year and they have made some progress but not sufficient - despite one or two discussions raised by teacher, what do you do? - Mad Catch up over the summer holiday !
My point is that I wish parents were sign posted to or given this information about expectations at the beginning of each school year so that they can also help their children - but alongside the school's procedures.

temporarilyjerry Fri 14-Aug-15 17:24:30

Would this be useful, 2512BC?

www.primarycurriculum.me.uk/

spanieleyes Fri 14-Aug-15 17:25:54

We send out to parents all the end of year expectations for maths, reading and writing on the first day back in the new term. We then have a parents evening in October when we go through the expectations, discuss the ones covered and whether achieved or not, we do this again in February.

If you check out www.primarycurriculum.me.uk/ all the objectives for each subject for each year group are set out clearly.

spanieleyes Fri 14-Aug-15 17:26:16

Snap!

2512BC Fri 14-Aug-15 17:36:06

Thanks tj and se.

mrz Fri 14-Aug-15 18:41:42

I sent home the expectations for the next school year at the end of the year so parents could see what will be expected.
They are freely available on the internet if schools haven't sent them

mrz Fri 14-Aug-15 18:44:47

I used these

wishiwasonthebeach Fri 14-Aug-15 20:06:38

The link is very helpful Mrz, it's a shame that not all schools hand out a print out like that. I find that communication at my son's 'outstanding' school is very poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now