7+ for GHS ...preperation tips please.

(4 Posts)
Doc25 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:06:13

hello all..my daughter would be sitting for 7+ for Guildford high school in Dec this year...Can you please advise on books (math/engkish/verbal/nonverbal) and preperation tips...she is ranked as a good student in her current class...many thanks.

CB2009 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:17:35

Not familiar with this specific school but son will try 7+ entrance exams in Dec/Jan for NW London private schools. He just left Y1 at state prep. We are working with Bond assessment books for Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning. We did some 6-7 and now working through all of them for age 7-8. Using Scholfield and Simms for Non Verbal as recommended to us as slightly tougher than Bond. We are writing a story each week over the summer and a diary recount. Spellings - high frequency words, wow adjectives, months of year etc etc. Times tables (not 7, 8 &9). We are reading lots to him and him to us. All the usual good authors/books for children - R Dahl, Flat Stanley, Dick King-Smith etc etc No idea if this is adequate but we do some each day over the summer and then the rest of the day is fun/outdoor stuff. It feels like plenty. Good luck. Hope this is of some use!

Doc25 Thu 13-Aug-15 09:20:08

many thanks CB2009...for time tables how many time tables should be adequate? is there a fixed number like timetables till 6? i a doing scholastic books at the moment with my dd...hope to start bond assessment once we finish this...many thanks..

CB2009 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:50:53

I have heard mixed reports on tables. Some people/schools seem to need all of them. We have been told to focus on up to 6 plus 10, 11. Less focus on 7-8-9 and 12. Good for them to know the easier tables in word problems too rather than a straight sum. So for example how many pairs of socks. Or sharing a bag of sweets between 3 children. I will take look at the scholastic books too! Thank you & good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now