11+ practice papers for nearly 8 year old!

(11 Posts)
xxxnikkixxx Fri 10-Jul-15 09:12:26

Can anyone recommend the best 11+ practice papers for a nearly 8 year old please? Thank you smile

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:21:22

Wtf

MN164 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:37:17

Since the largest component of 11+ is English and Maths, just focus on 8+ or 9+ national curriculum stuff. Plenty of options available on line and in the bookshops. We did a few of the DK ones with Carol Vodermans' photo on it.

When you get to year 5 you can start thinking about adding in verbal and non-verbal reasoning, if the school your looking at requires it.

However, my major concern is that you are starting much too early. Don't pressure to hard it can be very counter productive.

DiamondAge Fri 10-Jul-15 09:44:38

No need to WTF - I think the OP just means verbal and non-verbal reasoning papers which you can get in age bands starting with 6-7 (I think).

Of course I could be wrong about what the OP means, but if not just look on Amazon for verbal / non-verbal reasoning workbooks - they're much of a muchness & you can usually see a few pages to get an idea which age would be the right pitch. 11+ is only 3 years ahead of the 8-9 band anyway - no great shakes for MN grin

xxxnikkixxx Fri 10-Jul-15 10:01:18

Thanks MN164 and DiamondAge

Cloud2 Fri 10-Jul-15 11:12:38

Bond ones are good at this age, I think. No need to seriously doing practice paper, just 20 minutes per day to check if DC has understood everything. But come to year 5, Bond ones may be too easy.

TeddTess Fri 10-Jul-15 13:03:18

i would just get the bond maths and VR for her age and see how she gets on.
If she finds them ok then do the bond same age 10 minute test books
there's not much point moving too fast as she won't have covered it. If she can do the age appropriate bond books she'll be fine as the level is high. Plenty of time for practice papers in the autumn term of yr6.
it's a long run up... marathon not a sprint and all that!

dixiechick1975 Fri 10-Jul-15 14:12:58

Bond do them by age try w h smith or Amazon.

TobikkoRoll Fri 10-Jul-15 14:20:33

We used Bond 10 mins tests the early stages - kids considered them fun puzzles and they were nice and short.

Depending on your area and the grammar school you're interested in, look to do comprehension and non-verbal stuff in a few more years' time - we didn't do any papers until 6 months before the 11+.

Take a look at the eleven plus forum for more help and keep an eye on your chosen school because tests / formats do change from time to time.

sparkles18 Fri 10-Jul-15 15:01:11

Also try CGP books, they have different age levels.

xxxnikkixxx Fri 10-Jul-15 17:50:15

Excellent, thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now