School treatment of absences for music exams

(20 Posts)
welcometomylife Tue 07-Jul-15 12:49:11

I'd like to gather information regarding school treatment of absences relating to children sitting music exams (ABRSM or similar) across the country, and whether this differs according to whether the exam is arranged by a private tutor or the local music service. Thank you!

Emochild Tue 07-Jul-15 12:53:17

If she is at school for both registrations we just sign her in abd out

If she misses a registration they record it as 'educated off site'

Private tutor, state school

SomewhereIBelong Tue 07-Jul-15 12:57:41

Private tutor, state school, ABRSM piano- both at primary and secondary, and just like above -

try to get in for registration, exam usually between 11 and 1, never been marked as unauthorised absence

(Gloucestershire)

AssembleTheMinions Tue 07-Jul-15 13:03:40

Private tutor, state secondary in Scotland, ABRSM exam.

I let school know in advance and she goes in to registration and then back to school after the exam. I haven't checked to see what she gets marked down as but have never had a problem. There are usually a few children taking exams the same day.

QuiteQuietly Tue 07-Jul-15 13:06:16

I just make sure they are in for registration, even if I stand in office at drop off and take them at 8.55 after they have their tick. State school, private tutors (one takes lessons at the school, one outside of school). I would rather save my battles...

morethanpotatoprints Tue 07-Jul-15 13:10:57

We were treated so badly as dd plays multiple instruments and at the time also did dancing (5 classes) and similar amount if not more exams.
This meant a lot of time off, and was one of the deciding factors in deregistering to H.ed
We have since been told by many teachers and a few heads that all that time off wouldn't be tolerated now.
It was considered as educated off site along with music workshops provided by the local music service.

Waitingandhoping2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:16:28

State primary, Rockschool guitar exams Grades 1-5 so far... I just emailed the school a couple of days before and told them when we would be in. Self-taught so no teacher, and exams booked by me.

Exams have been late morning - so I took DS to school afterwards; and early afternoon - so I collected him from school well before and obviously didn't return.

He has has a few County sports matches also and they've authorised this via a form.

Seeline Tue 07-Jul-15 13:18:01

I always have to submit an absence request form, but have always been authorised to take both DCs out of primary for piano exams (private teacher). I've never taken them out for anything else though.

SandStorm Tue 07-Jul-15 13:18:12

Private school - piano and flute through the school, singing via a private tutor; all exams off site. I've never questioned how they mark her down on the register but always assumed educated off site as that's how it was at primary (state) school.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 07-Jul-15 13:39:49

sorry, forgot to say. Private tutors but some use local music service for exam.
We are greater manchester.

RapidlyOscillating Tue 07-Jul-15 13:42:20

Never an issue, as pp, if both registrations attended they are just signed out. Educated off site otherwise.

RapidlyOscillating Tue 07-Jul-15 13:43:06

Sorry, state school, music service lessons outside of school.

welcometomylife Tue 07-Jul-15 13:47:16

Thanks to all for the info so far - it is good to read about all of the straightforward positive experiences. I think my local head (Greater Manchester) has perhaps misjudged her response to my family's two recent requests, by refusing to authorise a tutor arranged exam-related absence whilst authorising a music service related absence. I hope to achieve an improvement in guidance to schools on this issue ;-

Millymollymama Tue 07-Jul-15 14:08:48

I find it surprising a Head does not support what is clearly a valuable educational activity! I bet they would support a sports competition for a child if there was a private coach! (And then boast about the prowess of that child in their newsletter!). I hope you get things changed!

sunnydayinmay Tue 07-Jul-15 14:47:18

Another state school, private music tutor, authorised as educated off site.

catslife Tue 07-Jul-15 15:07:42

Primary school authorised as "approved educational activity off-site" needed to supply copy of letter from ABRSM but it was authorised.
Secondary school has been less of a problem as the school is registered a an exam centre and allows both private tutors and music Service candidates to book exam sessions. So this has meant minimal disruption to lessons.

DontCallMeBaby Tue 07-Jul-15 16:03:34

Lessons in school with peripatetic teacher ... I let the school know beforehand (for yesterday's exam it was via email sent over the weekend, but DD had let her teacher know last week). I'm not sure quite how it's marked down - authorised absence, I think. DD's attendance last year was less than 100% and her only absences had been for a music exam and performing arts festival (cello organised via cello teacher, speech and drama via school). It doesn't seem quite right but as her attendance is otherwise good I've not fought it.

This year attendance has been 100% - reports issued last week, cello exam yesterday. grin

Theas18 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:37:27

Usually exams in school in school time, otherwise late appointment and leave a bit before the end of school.

RapidlyOscillating Tue 07-Jul-15 21:40:40

We're Greater Manchester too.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 07-Jul-15 22:28:15

State schools. I've always just emailed form tutor (secondary) or written a note (primary). The music lessons are private and the exam centre is in the next town, so she's away for about an hour. I don't know how they have recorded the absence, but there has never been any issue. Fortuitously, she has always been present for morning and afternoon registration, which I'm sure makes it easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now