male TA

(9 Posts)
satinpillowcase Sun 05-Jul-15 17:05:06

sexism aside...

three TAs.

one of them I really like, the other two the kids like but have featured less in our lives.

what can i give the bloke? late twenties, kind, sensible. don't think he's muslim (wondered about wine). don't really know him and what i do know about thin i don't relate to.

is there a default male gift?

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 05-Jul-15 17:38:08

Handmade Thank You card would do the trick. Works for male and female TAs. and teachets too.
I just don't get this buying presents for school staff thing - it's their job.

HaplessHousewife Sun 05-Jul-15 20:59:48

I have a similar problem in that DD has a male teacher this year and I want to get him a little something as she loves him and he's been fantastic, a great teacher and knows each child really well.

It was somewhat easier last year because I was in charge of the collection for the male TA so a) I had a bigger budget and b) his wife worked at the school so I could ask her for ideas! He got gardening vouchers.

A token present is much harder.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sun 05-Jul-15 22:31:59

If I want to get a gift I just ask one of the other staff of they drink and if so what. They never seem to mind being asked. grin

tkband3 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:38:53

DD1 had a male teacher in Y6 - he was amazing and actually left the same year as DD1. I did the collection and bought him theatre vouchers for his present which he loved. She also had a fantastic male TA - I bought him Amazon vouchers...bit unimaginative but he was pleased.

outtolunchagain Sun 05-Jul-15 22:42:21

My Ds had male teachers in yr5 and 6 , we found chocolate or biscuits went down well, especially giant Toblerone

Eva50 Mon 06-Jul-15 09:55:09

We gave the male music teacher (secondary) chocolates because I figured men probably eat chocolate too. If he doesn't I'm sure his kids will! An Amazon/Costa coffee voucher would also be good. I gave ds1's (male) P7 teacher wine because I know he drinks it but I feel a little bit uncomfortable giving alcohol from the children although I happily drink it in front of them myself.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Mon 06-Jul-15 10:05:14

What about chocolates from Hotel Chocolat? They do a box with "Thank you" on, or lots of different selections to choose from. The men in my family (and the women) love chocolates from there.

Theas18 Mon 06-Jul-15 10:27:53

as the DW of a male primary teacher I can let you know what DH appreciates most- that's a handmade card or gift. Yes even the blotchy miss spelled ones ( though it's worth just making sure the child spells the teachers name correctly, it's a little depressing to have taught a child for a year to realise they still can't spell your name! )

Wine is good.

Biscuits/chocs are shared with the family if it's the last day or put in the staffroom and shared.

Thinks that show you have thought about things- classical CDs (DH teaches music) , the lovely books from your home country are really valued too.

What makes DH feel uncomfortable rather than appreciated are very personal things eg sets of shower gel /shaving tools/after shave.

For your muslim TA why not get something sweet for Eid ( is it this week) and attach the thank you to that rather than end of term ? Baklava, choc , home made cake etc would all fit the bill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now