Netball club?

(15 Posts)
flashbunny73 Sat 04-Jul-15 08:40:00

Anyone set up a netball club at their primary?? Dd's school is small, circa 90 pupils, and i want to be sure she gets the opportunity to learn team sports. Currently they get about 2 hours of sports a week. I was thinking of setting up a netball club during the lunch hour. Thd head is supportive. Has anyone tried this or something similar? Any tips? I was thinking to start with Class 1 as this is where my daughter is and then if it goes ok add another session for older children. It seems netball is mixed and given the small size of the school it would need to be open to boys and girls.

SavoyCabbage Sat 04-Jul-15 08:52:38

My dd's play netball in Australia.

My youngest (8) does 'net set go' netsetgo.asn.au and my oldest is in a team which plays at weekends.

She couldn't play at all when she started but was playing in a game that week!

They do it at another primary school which I read about in our school newsletter. So it's a mixture of dc from three or four schools.

They both train once a week and they do a warm up, then some throwing and passing skills, shooting practice etc and then have a mini game at the end.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Sat 04-Jul-15 08:58:17

They boys cant play in competitions. If thats the aim. You may not get many takers from one class. Its a great idea but buddy up.with another school they will have a sports co-ordinator who can guide you and offer tips and keep you in the loop about competitions

Buttercup27 Sat 04-Jul-15 09:01:30

Up to 2 boys per team are allowed to play in matches but no more.
In most schools I have worked in its y5/6 who play in netball clubs and occasionally y3/4.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Sat 04-Jul-15 09:13:33

The rules changed this year to no boys.

lljkk Sat 04-Jul-15 09:18:06

sounds good, bet they'll bite your hand off.

DD was in her school netball team (trained after school but often had to leave for matches in afternoon before school day finished).

will your DD behave if you are the coach?

Buttercup27 Sat 04-Jul-15 09:37:45

That's odd our team were invited to play in a match this month and most teams had boys in them.

spanieleyes Sat 04-Jul-15 09:38:59

High Five still allows 2 boys I think ( although we play friendly Sevens with boys-we don't have enough girls for a team!)

UniS Sat 04-Jul-15 09:43:59

Maybe best to go with slightly older children in the first group. They grap the rules faster, then bring in younger ones and mix them in .
Find out which version of the game is played inter school in your area, work towards that and have a match to aim for from the beginning.
My lad started netball skills in pe in yr 4.

Iwantacampervan Sat 04-Jul-15 13:25:25

In our area they play High Five with boys in the teams - usually year 5 and 6.

flashbunny73 Sat 04-Jul-15 21:41:48

Thanks for the tips. We are in the sticks so there are a couple of clubs around here but they dont start til year 5/6. I thought it would be good to try to give the children some ball skills before that age. Thanks for the link Savoycabbage. I did find a website from NZ with lesson plans starting with 5-6 year olds. I will try to find out what the other schools in our area do. My impression was High Five was mixed. I think we will struggle for numbers if its only girls!

Dancingqueen17 Sat 04-Jul-15 21:46:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutInAllWeathers Sun 05-Jul-15 14:44:39

It's high 5 where we live too and you can have boys on the team. The rules are slightly simpler than netball. It is 5 a side and they have to rotate through the positions.
My son loved hi 5 and was really disappointed that he couldn't go on to play netball when he got to secondary.

LL0015 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:14:16

I started school netball
It's Hi Five (blah) and when in matches rules state 2 boys from 7. You have a time keeper and a scorer.
Utter tosh but I still play competitively and it doesn't translate.

I play with as many as nine on a team, just set two in circle attacking and defending, someone is desinated C and the rest play Wings. Depends how many turn up. Or we do 5 a side of three or four teams and play mini tournies

I don't do many drills, if it's raining we talk about the rules and mostly they have a good time. A whistle is essential and teach them immediately that they cannot bounce the balls when you are talking.

If you play, as I do, then consider teaching them to shoot with two hands, throw with two hands even shoulder pass and spend a lot of time jumping and landing so they learn which foot is which.

I tend to not plan my sessions, but I'm a good player so see who needs what. For example, I've spent time teaching those with appetite how to shoot property, including the tiniest girl, who can step forward from her landing foot and shoot on one foot - scores every time!
And a timid girl who looks away whenever ball comes near so I taught her to slap either side of the ball while it was arms length away with a fiece shout of MY BALL. I've progressed that to catching without flinching.
Mainly I taught them to step into a pass. Not helpful when they don't know which foot they landed on but otherwise they can't get any force behind the ball. That and teaching them to get lost... Know when they shouldn't be trying to get the ball because they all cluster together.

I love it and the hour vanishes every week!

BackforGood Wed 08-Jul-15 23:59:58

Just a thought, but wouldn't you get a better session in by running it after school rather than at lunchtime? If you have to get everyone changed (twice) and through lunch it doesn't give you much time, and also, where will the other children play if you are using the playground for your club ?

As a total aside - with all this talk of ball skills and knowing how difficult it is to score in netball - does anywhere ever play skittleball these days? I think it was a great game for learning all those skills, but with a MUCH higher chance of getting some scores in a game smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now