Primary school levels changed?

(12 Posts)
DarkEvilMoon Fri 03-Jul-15 21:39:03

Did they readjust the marking criteria for the levels (4a/b/c etc)?

If they didn't ds has made negative progress this year and I need to do something about this.
If they did is there a way for Joe Bloggs public to find out what the marking scheme/grade boundaries?

Millymollymama Fri 03-Jul-15 21:59:36

Ask your school how they are implementing the new curriculum. Year 6 and 2 was no change but every other year has changed and it is more demanding. What do you think he has been taught all year ? Many schools do not seem to have told parents about the changes or how they are now assessing the children.

mrz Fri 03-Jul-15 22:05:39

The NC levels were scrapped (except Y2 & 6 ) there is a new curriculum with different content and expectations which your child will have been assessed against. You need to ask the school about their assessment method as there no longer is a national model.

DarkEvilMoon Fri 03-Jul-15 22:39:03

Would they implement new curriculum subjects and new marking criteria at different points in the year?

Will bare the fact that there have been alterations to the assessing process when viewing the numbers. And will ask about it at the next meeting. I am interested to know if the final year 6 targets have been down regulated for similar achievement targets to what they would have been under the old system or if the children are now going to have to improve a significant amount extra to meet their targets. stupid government meddling in education!

mrz Sat 04-Jul-15 05:22:46

They should have followed the new curriculum from Sept 2014 in years 1,3,4&5 (Y2&6 will follow new curriculum from Sept 2015)

mrz Sat 04-Jul-15 05:25:56

Children currently in Y1 & Y5 with be assessed against new standards next year

mrz Sat 04-Jul-15 05:32:21

www.teachers.org.uk/files/dear-parents-michael-tidd.docx someone linked to this on another thread and while I don't wholeheartedly agree with everything it does offer an explanation of the situation

DarkEvilMoon Sat 04-Jul-15 13:20:15

Thanks. I remember seeing that in the past which was why I asked about changes, guess I was surprised they changed the criteria right at the end of the year. Will have to see what progress I feel have been made when I see the books at the end of the school year.

mrz Sat 04-Jul-15 13:53:36

They didn't change the criteria at the end of the year

DarkEvilMoon Sat 04-Jul-15 14:24:17

Perhaps not but the implementation has occurred during the last term not for the reports in the previous terms. which is why the changes surprised me. I can see why from a teacher's perspective that the kids need to know where they are in time for year 6, but the kids have not have the level changes explained to them and yet their targets have been drilled into them. So there are going to be a lot of kids who have apparently suddenly gone backwards, i suspect there might be a few tears, some out rage and a lot of confusion when they discover their last set of levels. Either let the kids know the levels and explain when they change or don't drill the levels in.

I trust the teachers but I don't trust the meddlers and have no illusion that the boundaries could potentially be moved between now and the sats next year.

Govt bitches about schools not meeting the marks, but then move the marks so it is impossible to achieve the targets. Govt are twats, and the teacher work the best miracles they can whilst doomed to failure by the govt. I have a lot of respect for teachers but little for the system. But I just wish if we are expected to be pro-active in our kids education that we are given enough information to do so in the correct manner.

Govt = government (being lazy today) blush

mrz Sat 04-Jul-15 14:38:42

That's more to do with the school than the government in this case I'm afraid. Schools knew they had to have new assessment in place for last September and many didn't, hoping that the government would tell them what to do.

DarkEvilMoon Sat 04-Jul-15 14:59:08

<sigh> I was afraid you were going to say that.

Thanks for listening to the rantiness blush Words of wisdom appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now