Has anyone managed to defer their child's entry to reception this year or last?

(11 Posts)
babysprogg Thu 02-Jul-15 21:39:13

I would like to defer my child's September 2015 reception entry to the summer term in 2016. I know that I have a legal right to do this, but does my child have a legal right to keep the place at the school?

For those that have managed to defer successfully, what reasons have you given?

I have asked the local authority for permission to defer my child's entry but have been given a lot of reasons for not doing so. Any ideas for submitting a successful application would be greatly appreciated!

titchy Thu 02-Jul-15 21:58:49

As long as he starts in the summer term of reception (assuming he's a summer birthday) he keeps his place. Nothing to do with the LEA, just write to the school informing them of your intention to do this.

titchy Thu 02-Jul-15 22:01:24

Just for clarity deferring and asking to start reception a year late is very unusual and difficult to achieve, I'm guessing that's what the LEA Thought you wanted. Missing out reception entirely is also possible but you'd have to apply a year later.

Earthbound Thu 02-Jul-15 22:20:25

So your child would normally start Reception in September 2015 but you want to defer his entry until April 2016? Is that right? When is he 5? He needs to be in school by his 5th birthday I believe (unless you choose to home ed obviously).

Assuming he is Summer born, the previous poster is right in that this is a matter for the school and not the LA. As I understand it, as long as he starts school by the Summer term of his Reception year, the school must hold his place for him.

I deferred DSs place until after the Christmas of his Reception year. I wrote to the Head and simply informed her of my plans. I knew I was within my rights to do so and she accepted it with no problems. She agreed it was in my DSs best interests and we had a couple of visits to the school in the autumn term to see the classroom etc. So all you need to do is inform the school- but remember you are not asking permission or making an application that can be accepted or not.

SliceOfLime Thu 02-Jul-15 23:01:54

Pretty sure that what Earthbound said is right - look at para 2.16 onwards in the Schools Admissions Code 2014. I think you can defer to any time until they turn 5 / Summer term and they have to keep the place open.

Mopmay Thu 02-Jul-15 23:15:50

Can I ask why you want to?

prh47bridge Thu 02-Jul-15 23:25:24

Provided your child will take up the place during the summer term 2016 the school must keep the place open for you.

It is your right to defer until the start of term following your child's fifth birthday. You do not have to submit an application. You do not have to specify reasons or justify your decision to the LA, school or anyone else. Simply tell them that you are deferring entry until the summer term 2016. They cannot refuse.

StarlightMcKenzee Thu 02-Jul-15 23:26:10

An academy near here says they will not allow it without an EP report. Is that allowed?

tiggytape Fri 03-Jul-15 07:23:24

I know that I have a legal right to do this, but does my child have a legal right to keep the place at the school?
The school must keep the place for you. You don't have to ask them about how to go about managing to do this. It is your legal right - you simply tell (inform the school politely) that this is what you will be doing. They cannot refuse. They cannot give away your place to someone else.

An academy near here says they will not allow it without an EP report. Is that allowed?
Are they perhaps aiming that at the people who ask for theirr child to be held back a full year eg due to start Reception Sept 2015 but the parents ask for a start date of Sept 2016 instead.
That is different and parents don't have a legal right to insist on that and most councils or academies won't agree to it without a high degree of expert evidence showing that it is necessary.

Tumtetum Fri 03-Jul-15 22:51:56

Have you had a look at the summer born campaign website? They also have a Facebook group which has lot of information and people who are going through the same process. It can be possible to delay a child's entry to school but it varies according to Local Authority and also according to the type of school. Some people have managed to send their children a year later but it's a real postcode lottery.

littlejohnnydory Sun 05-Jul-15 22:40:54

You can defer their entry until the term after they turn five - in England, that is your right. You also have the right to send them part time until then if you choose. As long as they start during the Reception year, the school has to keeep the place for them. If you don't start them until year 1, you have to reapply the following year. A few families have managed to get their child admitted to Reception at Compulsory School Age (facebook group - Flexible School Admission for Summer Borns), some LEA's more helpful than others with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now