DS came out of school yesterday in a dirty nappy.

(70 Posts)
Marioswife Wed 01-Jul-15 13:24:24

I'm not sure if i should complain about it or not, they are normally good with changing him. I realise it's near the end of term and they are doing different more fun things like watching videos, so maybe the TA wasn't near him. I need a few opinions, do i treat this as a one off or do i make a complaint?

I've cross posted this in SN chat too as i know the two sections are very quiet but are both relevant.

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Jul-15 13:28:30

How long was he in it? Did he tell anyone?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 01-Jul-15 13:29:27

Had it made him sore? It's hard to know without knowing how long he had been in it, if there hasn't been an issue before I would be inclined to mention it but not complain.

Eva50 Wed 01-Jul-15 13:32:37

I would make a note of it but would say nothing. If it happens again I would make an appointment to discuss it with them.

JustinsBrother Wed 01-Jul-15 13:34:31

I would go in and tell them so that they are aware, but I'd ask what was going on first. It could be there was a member of staff who isn't completely aware of your Son's situation or that someone new was covering the class. Lots going on at this time of year. It could be that the TA wasn't even in the classroom (I understand he may be statemented or whatever, but like you say if they were watching films or something)

If this is the first time it's happened then I would complain yet, just make school aware. It could be that it happened right at the end of the day so no-one realised before home time.

I know of a child who soils and hate the idea that they may go home dirty but with a class of 30 I'm aware that it sometimes happens.

JustinsBrother Wed 01-Jul-15 13:35:09

*WOULDN'T complain yet. Sorry.

Marioswife Wed 01-Jul-15 13:37:38

He wasn't sore but i could see he had been sat in it for a while, it was squashed.

Thank you for the advice, i will mention it when i pick him up.

Millymollymama Wed 01-Jul-15 13:43:57

Why does he wear a nappy to school? In all the schools I know, they don't change nappies at all unless the child has a health problem, and then a specially trained TA would do it.

SewingAndCakes Wed 01-Jul-15 13:49:35

Milly obviously marioswifes ds has SN and needs to wear a nappy. She was asking for opinions on how to deal with him not being changed, not justifying the fact that he needs to wear a nappy hmm

WixingMords Wed 01-Jul-15 13:57:13

Mention it, rather than complain if that makes sense. Ask if they realised he'd got a dirty nappy or did he get in on the way out. I know you know he didn't but it's a way to let the school know it happened. This way if it does happen again the it won't be the first time the school are aware of it.

Hopefully it won't and it's just a one off due to the reasons you said.

bingandflop Wed 01-Jul-15 14:00:13

I wouldn't mention it if it's the first and only time but would if it happens again

littlesupersparks Wed 01-Jul-15 14:03:02

Like others I would mention it but not complain as such. They will keep a more careful eye on him. You will have something to fall back on if it happens again. Better than going in angry saying 'I didn't tell you but this happened last week too!'

Millymollymama Wed 01-Jul-15 14:22:51

Sorry but this isn't the SN thread! I thought it was a standard primary enquiry!

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jul-15 14:24:37

Why do you think she said cross posted it in the SN area?

basgetti Wed 01-Jul-15 14:25:04

Apart from the fact that OP mentioned SN in her first post, she has a child who goes to primary so why can't she post her enquiry here?

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jul-15 14:27:48

Is it a one off? Are you happy with the level of care otherwise?

It could be that it wasn't noticed and he didn't say . He might not have been sitting in it long. Could you say something like "Is there a problem? I noticed DS came home in a dirty nappy and wanted to check everything is going OK."

downgraded Wed 01-Jul-15 14:30:58

I would mention it if it happens again. It's possible that it happened just as they got their coats on, and no one noticed.

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 01-Jul-15 14:31:42

Milly did you know that children with SN also attend "standard primary schools"

shock

hmm

OP says clearly she'd also posted in SN.

OP...do mention it. Once or not, it's best to mention.

RedandYellow24 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:35:55

Did you notice as soon as he came out? You could of taking him into school to change him then they could have offered an an explanation. I wouldn't complain because he could have done it in the last minute of school he wasn't sore so unlikely to have been in it any length of time.

Plus no teacher or other kids are going to put up with the smell as its unpleasant, plus children are honest if he was sitting next to them in they would have said something. It's a one off he wasn't sore so I would put it down to happening just at the end.

RedandYellow24 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:38:16

Unless they have routine where he is taking to the bathroom right at the end of the day to check. To me to complain means you think they were neglectful. All they can say is we didn't notice he was last checked at x time

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 01-Jul-15 15:05:40

Why does he wear a nappy to school? In all the schools I know, they don't change nappies at all unless the child has a health problem, and then a specially trained TA would do it.

Marios wife mentioned he has a TA in the opening post!

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 01-Jul-15 15:13:40

Sorry but this isn't the SN thread! I thought it was a standard primary enquiry!

It is everyone has the right to a main stream education, shock horror they accept incontinent children!

And this might shock you, even hire teachers how have continence trouble!

Marioswife Wed 01-Jul-15 15:44:36

Millymolly

Use your brain for a moment.
Why do you think he's in a nappy at school?

Piratejones Wed 01-Jul-15 16:01:52

I had this a couple of times with minipirate, In my experience it's normally when they go during carpet time and the teacher s are in a rush to put the children coats on so miss it.

ludovica Wed 01-Jul-15 16:10:26

Millymollymama, even if there had been no clear mention of SN in the OP, why do you imagine a child would attend school in a nappy? How was your reply in any way helpful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now