Class room layout mixed years

(4 Posts)
jackierussell Tue 30-Jun-15 12:31:20

I would be grateful for others thoughts on the layout of our dc's new classroom, it is a small school yr, 1 & 2 in one class, 1 teacher, 2 ta and I think a floating assistant (for ppa? ). The layout is a classroom with linked open space and some space outside the classroom in a hallway/corridor with a linked open space adajent but separate to the classroom open space. The year R are to be located in the hallway / corridor bit with their own open space. From this space they cannot see into the classroom except through a doorway. I don't know what to think about this arrangement but feel that the r group seem to be hived off possibly to their disadvantage? Our dc will be in the r group. What would your feelings about this be ? Thanks

KohINoorPencil Tue 30-Jun-15 14:04:05

I'm not sure if you are put out because reception are in a hallway or because they can't see into the classroom?

They don't need to see into a classroom, that will distract Y1/2 and R.

R is supposed to be free flow play with access to outdoors so it sounds fine.

Ferguson Tue 30-Jun-15 19:34:10

As a retired TA I was a voluntary helper for several years in a combined R, 1, 2 class, which worked well.

If it is organised properly, it gives the flexibility for high achieving younger children to share in more advanced learning, and conversely less able Yr2 children could work at a younger level some of the time.

Our outside play space had closed circuit TV installed, so staff in the classroom could observe what was going on outside.

Also for PE, games, music, drama and ICT the three 'streams' could work together. At first sight a parent might think the age range could be a problem, but in my experience it never seemed to matter at all. However, it does all need to be organised and supervised properly.

jackierussell Tue 30-Jun-15 21:28:04

Thanks, I think we will ask about how it is to be organised we understand this is the first year they have tried this layout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now