DS' transition to Juniors

(2 Posts)
hillyhilly Mon 22-Jun-15 17:53:17

My DS is leaving his infant school and moving to a Junior school that his sister attends but other than that he only knows around 3 kids there apart from his sister's friends. All the other kids come together from the feeder infant school.
He had a short transition session today and it didn't go well, they had an assembly which was fine then playtime .
He made a beeline for his sister, throwing himself at her, dragging her by the arm and being generally very physical and a complete pain to her and her friends.
He is a confident outgoing boy but has always been inclined to be too physical with people and to not know how to get on in a new group of people.
I have talked to them both tonight, to him about asking to join in with the few people he does know, to her about being kind and helping him find peers if he comes to her, I am also planning on a chat to the Y3 Head of Year about ensuring that he is more included or buddied by his peers.

What else can I do to try to help him to include himself without throwing himself (literally) at people, grabbing, mauling, lifting etc as this is his current way no matter how many reminders that people don't like it.
Does anyone know anything about social stories that could help?

ReggieJones Mon 22-Jun-15 19:46:13

Chat to the school (his class teacher is probably the best first contact). It may be that the school has some kind of buddy system or a bench where children can go and find others to play with (can't remember what its called) and it may be useful to talk to your ds about these things too. Even children from the feeder infant school will take a bit of time to adjust to new routines etc so don't worry too much.

There are various sites on the internet with advice on how to write social stories, now sure how reliable they all are but the National Autistic society might be a good place to look. Perhaps talk to the school about this too especially if social stories have been useful for your son in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now