Can anybody link me to what year 5 children should be achieving in PE?

(18 Posts)
LilyTucker Mon 15-Jun-15 21:04:08

Tiagrin

cariadlet Mon 15-Jun-15 21:37:03

The new national curriculum for PE is pretty vague. Here's a link.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239040/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_Physical_education.pdf

LilyTucker Mon 15-Jun-15 21:49:14

Hmm isn't it just.

Kind of hard to see if your DC is behind.hmm

christinarossetti Mon 15-Jun-15 23:23:34

Is there anything in particular that you're worried about?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 16-Jun-15 08:29:48

Can you be behind in PE?

undoubtedly Tue 16-Jun-15 08:31:14

PE?

As long as they're remembering their kits more than 60% of the time I'd say that's a pass....

Has your child had a bad report?

LashesandLipstick Tue 16-Jun-15 08:34:00

Lol how can you achieve/not achieve in it? You're either good at sport or you're not!

noramum Tue 16-Jun-15 11:09:09

DD will always have difficulties in PE as she hates balls and is useless when it comes to most ball games like cricket, hockey, basketball etc.

She is good in gymnastics but that is hardly taught apart from a before school club.

I would say, showing an effort and participating is vital, the rest is a bonus.

jo164 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:20:14

I am a PE teacher and to a degree I echo what everyone has said. Unless you have concerns she may be dyspraxic, I don't think I'd be worrying. Some children are sporty, some aren't and as long as she is doing her best and is being encouraged in school I wouldn't worry. If you're concerned she isn't excelling in the sports done at school maybe find something different out of school to try and increase her self confidence.

Juniper44 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:31:39

Something like this might be useful.

By the end of Year 5, you'd be looking at level 3 or 4.

Juniper44 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:32:15

There's also this on the TES website but you have to be a member to download.

LashesandLipstick Tue 16-Jun-15 19:38:42

today I learned I would "fail" year 5 P.E grin never did manage to dribble a ball without hitting someone with it

LilyTucker Tue 16-Jun-15 22:24:11

She is dyspraxic and has also got hypermobilty. It's making her miserable and she hates her body.Hates PE lessons and confidence very low. School have been shite.No support,no empathy,no recognition of difficulties and no plan to help her.OT is great but ending soon.Got a meeting soon and was hoping to be for armed with a bit of detail as to what she should be able to do.

Will look at the links.Thanks.smile

LashesandLipstick Tue 16-Jun-15 22:26:43

Lily I have similar issues and P.E was miserable for me. My mum used to write me notes to get out of it because the school were crap and offered no help, perhaps tell the school if they aren't providing support you will pull her out of P.E

LilyTucker Tue 16-Jun-15 22:34:20

Was hoping they could do something to boost her self esteem as worried re her fitness levels.Starting to say she's useless at anything active and refusing to participate in anything out of school.If I pull her out of PE worried it'll just get worse.The tantrums are a nightmare

So angry as I knew something wasn't right and if she'd had the support earlier on her confidence wouldn't be on the floor now.Is having to do OT with much younger children all of whom can do forward rolls.She was so upset last week as she was the only one who needed two OTs to help her and still couldn't do it.sad

LashesandLipstick Tue 16-Jun-15 22:39:25

Lily could you get her involved in activities that don't involve teams? I did much better in one on one stuff, like boxing or kick boxing

If it's any consolation to your DD I'm a 21 year old woman and I still can't do them! Schools aren't very good at supporting those who struggle with sport, it's almost as if PE teachers get a sadistic kick out of humiliating people...

Hope something gets done

cariadlet Tue 16-Jun-15 23:04:01

I found this article interesting
www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-children/pe-lessons/

Is there something there that she might enjoy which would improve her co-ordination and that in turn would help her self-esteem?

If she doesn't have the confidence to join a sports club then maybe there might be something that the 2 of you could have fun doing together eg swimming, playing swingball in the garden (don't know if you can still get that, but I'm guessing it would be less frustrating than a ball game where you were continually having to run after a missed ball) or playing Just Dance on a wii.

ExpressNigel Wed 17-Jun-15 07:30:05

Is there a fencing club nearby? DH coaches children from 7 and he gets quite a lot of children who can't do/don't like team games/have co-ordination problems/are autistic. They often like the defined rules of movement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now