re: not happy with teacher changes- what to do..?

(11 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Tue 02-Jun-15 16:42:54

My dd is now in the final term of year 4 and we have just found out that yet again her class teacher has changed (3rd time this year) again. This also happened twice in year 3. In year 3 the classes were split into 4 smaller groups, which we thought was good, but going into year 4 they were put back into 3 class groups as the school didn't have enough money to fund the extra teacher. Going into year 5 classes will again be put back into 4 smaller class groups.
There was a lot of discontent amongst parents when our children moved to the junior school, but the school did work hard to address the concerns, plus they had an impending Ofsted inspection due. However with the change in teachers and classes and the general laspy daisy attitude of late is starting to concern me. My dd is top set and just tends to cruise through what she needs to do, and there has been times where I have felt that she was losing interest in school etc, for example in English they haven't had a reading book for months but I do ensure that reading is kept up. The change is teachers has affected the behaviour of some of the children in her class and this does impact on dd. I have considered moving my dd but she is generally happy and has a nice group of friends but I really don't know what to do for the best...If I did move dd would it impact more than staying..? Can anyone advise on similar circumstances..please? confused

redskybynight Tue 02-Jun-15 17:24:34

What does the school say?

mammasmadhouse Tue 02-Jun-15 17:46:50

With regard to the latest change of teachers we have had nothing as yet in writing or directly from the head of year. We just have the information the children have been told.

redskybynight Tue 02-Jun-15 17:53:54

So ... it sounds like your first move is to go in and ask about your specific concerns. These seem to be firstly the constant changes in teachers, and secondly that your daughter appears to be coasting. I certainly wouldn't be thinking about moving schools without giving the current school at least a chance to answer my concerns.

(and to comment on one of your specific points, I don't think an able reader at the end of Year 4 not having a specific reading book is particularly unusual!! Certainly at my DC's school the Year 4s that do are the less numerous group).

mammasmadhouse Tue 02-Jun-15 17:59:53

Thank you redskybynight I appreciate your insight and comments.

Feenie Tue 02-Jun-15 18:31:15

the general laspy daisy attitude

The what now? confused

TeenAndTween Tue 02-Jun-15 19:06:53

(Feenie, I think the OP meant lackadaisical)

AsBrightAsAJewel Tue 02-Jun-15 19:11:49

I'm a little confused - you say "her class teacher has changed (3rd time this year) again" - do you mean this is the third class teacher she has had whilst being in Y4? Or do you mean the class set ups will have changed three times since joining the school in Y3 and you have just had some information about who will be your DD's teacher once she goes into Year 5?
Or I'm wondering if you mean you are concerned about how the team teaching aspect works of breaking a large year group cohort (about 90 children????) between teachers (i.e. between 4 teachers if the funds permit or just 3 if funding is tighter).

If I understand your OP correctly I think you need to break it down into the separate issues:-
1) I assume you think the smaller classes are of benefit - I would expect they would help the teacher meet the needs of all children, including your able child, more easily - so is your concern whether it can be sustained financially? If the school can't guarantee this, do you feel it is of benefit even in the short term?
2) The school seems to be changing teachers frequently within a school year - is this staff leaving or reshuffling staff within the school? Which ever reason you need to discuss how the school can do to provide continuity.

mammasmadhouse Tue 02-Jun-15 20:08:29

yes, this will be the third teacher change whilst in year 4. In year 3 they had 2 changes of teachers and this unfortunately has only happened to this class.

Starlightbright1 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:16:00

I have had issues with change of teacher with my DS...I wrote a letter to the head outlining my concerns..All that could be addressed was and my Ds was supported through the change once they knew the issues.

I would take that approach first then see where you go from there

admission Tue 02-Jun-15 21:24:43

3 teachers in one year is not a good situation to be in, as that will have caused some disruption, no matter what the situation.
Whilst this is a problem I think the bigger problem is the chopping and changing of the classes from 3 to 4 in the year group. That suggests a lack of managerial capability in the school to properly plan, but the one question I would have before blaming the school is where the school is up to in terms of pupil numbers in the year group. If it is at the PAN then moving from 3 to 4 to 3 and now back to 4 makes no sense. If however you are not near the PAN and there is significant movement in pupils in and out of the school then this might be the only logic move by the school.
The fact that you mention the wish for smaller classes say to me that the above is not the answer. Funding has not moved in real terms in the last couple of years and certainly will not be moving up in the future, so to me it could come down to poor financial control in the school. They need to be more consistent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now