Any great work books to get yr1 daughter writing?

(9 Posts)
Meaningbusiness Fri 29-May-15 16:01:45

Hi there,

Dd is in year one and an excellent speller. Also great at reading. However, she finds writing hard - the putting down of ideas, remembering adjectives, using full stops etc. we've just written a short piece together and she wrote 'and' 20 times!!

I'm bored of thinking of new things to write about. Has anyone come across a fun, happy book with small exercises and things to write about, with some nice illustrations. It must exist! Somewhere. Anyone know it?

Thanks.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Fri 29-May-15 16:05:29

It's not a book, but have you thought about using story cubes? you can buy or make them, and basically you roll them and make up a story with whatever comes up. You can get quite pretty ones and the diy versions are good fun!

If she is up for the challenge of different connectives etc then a word bank might be good, but at that age I would tend to focus on the joy of writing for pleasure, and using imagination!

mrz Fri 29-May-15 16:24:43

Ban "and" or limit his many times she can use it or only allow it in a list. My class love the idea that "and" is banned and "said" is dead.
Get her to create her own lists of alternatives.

Jumpstart Storytelling Pie Corbett has lots of ideas

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 29-May-15 18:16:36

YY, put said to bed!

Workbooks won't inspire anyone to write imo! Remember you're playing the long game here and it is hard when you are only Y1 to remember all of these things.

Does she enjoy reading? The more she reads, the better she will write eventually. I'd include a good exposure to poetry and drama in that.

Encourage her to use adjectives and adverbs when she is talking to you. A blank diary might go down well, and if she enjoys role play, continue with that.

Writing will come eventually, but a solid background in all kinds of literature will help it along.

mrz Fri 29-May-15 20:03:42

www.hildenborough.kent.sch.uk/pie-corbett-writing-ideas.pdf

mrz Fri 29-May-15 20:07:18

www.eriding.net/resources/one-to-one_tuition/support_tutors/eng/primary/100121_rsadofsky_otot_support_pri_eng_creating_sentences.pdf

mrz Fri 29-May-15 20:09:58

www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=733796

Rivercam Fri 29-May-15 20:10:17

Get a picture book, or a book of photographs, and get her to describe them. Keep it simple, and limit it to ten sentences.

mrz Fri 29-May-15 20:41:25

fivesc.net

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now