before and after school care

(7 Posts)
Milkymickey Wed 27-May-15 14:52:36

Can anyone offer advice on how to maximise chances of finding someone to do before and after school care?
The school doesn't offer any (but I'm hoping will start it in 18 months time), the local registered childminders are full or have poor OFSTED.
I'm hoping to find someone to do it privately, ie. bring back to our house.
Where can I advertise? Are there things I can do to help find people/spread the word? What makes it a more or less attractive job? Has anyone worked out if there's a group of people who might find the hours convenient? (I know, they aren't the most obviously useful hours...)
I'm terrified of not being able to find anyone as I literally don't know how we'd manage...
Thanks in advance for any help and advice...

addictedtosugar Wed 27-May-15 14:56:15

I think I'd secure a place with a poor oftead childminder who you have met, and like they way she opperates.

And then carry on looking for an afterschool nanny or similar.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 14:57:17

If they are coming back to your house then you need to advertise for a part time nanny. Childminders only work from their own home.

spanieleyes Wed 27-May-15 15:42:53

Is there a local college which offers childcare diplomas? You might find some of the students willing to take care of your child in these circumstances

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 15:48:31

The hours are more useful than you might think. They are ideal hours for a student or somebody who works in a play group or as a dinner lady during the school day. It will also appeal to people who want to be an after school nanny but want to bring their own child along with them (which happens quite a lot),

Milkymickey Wed 27-May-15 15:55:17

There is a local college...that's a genius idea, thanks Spanieleyes. Will also think about play groups (our lovely nursery employs all staff in early mornings or late afternoons, so we can't share with them).

Thanks for all the ideas so far, really helpful. More welcome smile

mrsmilesmatheson Wed 27-May-15 18:34:33

I'd agree with the pp who suggests meeting childminders.

If you haven't already, then meet as many as possible or at least phone and speak to them. Ofsted reports can be unreliable for many reasons.

My dd has been with her lovely childminder for 5 years. She has a satisfactory ofsted because she lets the children eat chocolate biscuits and doesn't write detailed plans. She is also an amazing lady who is like family to us and I trust completely with dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now