are there any online phonics programs ?

(17 Posts)
Funkytown Tue 12-May-15 21:24:41

i have a 6 year old little boy who i suspect is dyslexic (we are going through the channels with the school ).

he is currently behind with his school work to the stage where they regularly take him from year 2 down to year 1 to learn his phonics, he is a sensitive child who has been getting bullied and this obviously isn't helping the matter so i have been looking for something to help him with at home .
i don't think we can afford a private tutor nor would i know where to find one so does anyone know of any online phonics programs or somewhere i can look or a tutor for him we are in london
thank you (sorry for the spelling/grammer)

candlesandlight Tue 12-May-15 21:32:31

Why not ask school if they could make you a copy of Ruth miskin cards, then go on youtube and search for mr Thorne does phonics. You can then learn the sounds at home with him.
The Ruth muslin website also has good resources.
Phonics play is also a good website and I think they will allow you access up to level 3 without subscribing. Good luck smile

Funkytown Tue 12-May-15 21:37:17

thank you for your reply
i will look into the website suggested i didn't think to ask the school i will get onto that tomorrow and see what they can do they aren't helpful at the best of times so fingers crossed.

Lindy2 Tue 12-May-15 21:43:27

My DD enjoyed playing "teach your monster to read". That was phonics based games on the pc. I think the CBeebies website also has alphablock games that I have heard good things about but not tried myself.

mrz Tue 12-May-15 21:44:51

Check with the school which programme they use

mrz Tue 12-May-15 21:59:40

There are lots of things out there but you need to look carefully as many don't match how phonics is taught in the UK.

Papermover Tue 12-May-15 22:19:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

candlesandlight Tue 12-May-15 22:39:58

Just thought, have a look at the twinkl website . They have lots of resources for phonics and dyslexia.

Ferguson Tue 12-May-15 23:07:14

There is a lot on the Cbeebies Alphblocks TV programmes, and there is a companion website:

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks

But for something rather more 'academic' I think you would find this a worthwhile investment:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

Bilberry Tue 12-May-15 23:18:09

Reading Eggs?. You can have a two week free trial to see if it works for you.

jolufc Wed 13-May-15 18:04:12

Phonics play - free for some activities or a small subscription. Used in lots of schools.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 13-May-15 21:50:08

Nessy- approved by dyslexia association I think. Some free access, subscription for more.

maroonedwithfour Wed 13-May-15 21:52:57

cornflakegirl Wed 13-May-15 21:54:38

We also really like Teach Your Monster to Read.

Funkytown Thu 14-May-15 09:36:10

I've just had a look at a few off these, the messy one looks amazing and it has apps i can download on his iPad thank you ladies !

Gigglenhoot Thu 14-May-15 11:07:48

Yes, Nessy apps are my favourite. My DS would rather pull teeth than pick up a pencil but somehow using a stylus and iPad makes it fun!

minimisa Fri 15-May-15 09:36:53

I think Teach Your Little Monster helped my boys consolidate the basics although they're not dyslexic. It's fun and they made rapid progress after doing 10 mins a day for a couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now