Established school or new school?

(11 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 13:42:37

My son got into his first choice school and I have accepted the place. It's an inner city school rated as Good.

However a new school is supposed to be opening nearby which will open this September but is still going through consultation. It will only take Nursery and Reception children so my son would be the oldest in the school all the way through if he were to go there.

I'm considering applying for it but just wondered what others would do?

Do you think it would be good for a child to attend a small school like this and grow with it, rather than go into a school of 500 pupils?

Has anyone done this?

Would you be worried about the fact that the school is untested and may have new inexperienced teachers?

Any advice gratefully received.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 13:43:04

It's a normal state primary BTW... not a faith or free school.

Essexmum69 Tue 05-May-15 18:30:59

I turned down a new school option in this situation, however I had a September born, youngest child who was used to being around older children and so I felt he would struggle socially being the eldest In the school for 7 years. My other concern is that he would miss out on some of the extra curricular stuff, as orchestras and sports teams take time to get established.

Mopmay Tue 05-May-15 18:39:56

We have 5 new schools near us. All free schools but run under guidance of other reputable local school academies. I have total confidence in the academic teaching, teachers etc
That would big be a concern for me.
However my DC go to a big state school and for me there are huge benefits of being a small part of a big community Hub. There are tons of different hobby clubs, loads of sports teams, several bands and orchestras. Mine look up to the bigger children. The afterschool club has 3 mini clubs with 30-40 children in so lots of opportunities to play with new children and make friends over wide spectrum. It depends what you want. For me school is much more than phonics literacy and maths.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 21:59:44

I guess I am thinking that as he's only reception age those kinds of clubs and facilities would have time to grow. As it is the other school (the one we have a place at) has nothing for reception classes and no after school/out of school club. We would have to use a privately run one which may not pick up from the new school which creates a whole other issue.

The new school is in a greener more spacious area, so though still inner city it's going to have a nicer environment when established. The classes will be in temporary accommodation on the site while an existing building is modified in time for 2016 intake.

Mopmay Tue 05-May-15 22:47:47

Temp classrooms are fine - they can be amazing. Is it going to be one or two form entry? Would you want him in a school of e,g 20 pupils - all the new schools near us are / were undersubscribed in the first 2 years

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 23:47:30

Not sure about the new school but I think one form so it would be very small. He has been in a private nursery since he was 10 months so used to lots of kids and I did think going into a bigger school might be good for him but the one we have a place at is definitely two form entry.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 23:56:00

Just checked, it is 2 form entry.

Mopmay Wed 06-May-15 13:09:41

Well all the new schools near us were about 2/3 full in the first year. One still only got allocated about 8 pupils this year although it may fill a bit as people appear as late applicants. Another is 2 form and got 40 pupils allocated . I expect that to drop as people are on wait lists for other schools and places come up

Mopmay Wed 06-May-15 13:12:15

If I didn't work and could fill in all the extra curricular stuff afterschool to meet other children etc then it might appeal. My DC would find it too stifling

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-May-15 23:08:41

I am thinking I will apply but see what happens. It may be as September gets closer I end up re-thinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now