Primary teachers, do these workbooks look helpful?

(11 Posts)
wume Fri 01-May-15 15:14:52

Saw these workbooks and was wondering if they will help dd1 when she moves up to YR3 in September.

Does anything on that page look good?

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 01-May-15 16:43:47

Death by workbook! Don't subject the child to that grin

Honestly, I wouldn't waste time at home with them.

Doowrah Fri 01-May-15 19:17:05

CGP ones are really dull visually but are used in schools usually Year 5/6 Sats prep. Year 3 I would whip into WHSmith and get a colourful Letts. Do agree with previous poster and death by worksheet comment. Mind you had my own son doing bits from them at that age.Double standard....possibly...

Hathall Sat 02-May-15 07:25:49

Our school recommends the cgp ones too.

ltk Sat 02-May-15 07:33:31

What would you like to help her with? Where does she need extra instruction or practice?

mugglingalong Sat 02-May-15 07:43:33

It depends though on the child. Dd2 and ds like nothing more than curling up with a maths workbook. They beg to be given maths problems wierd children . I tend to get whatever is on offer on the book people.

wume Sat 02-May-15 08:05:22

I don't think she needs extra help, she will get a 2a in maths, possibly a 3.

But she wants to do maths at home and I'm useless at this sort of thing, so thought a workbook could be the answer

ltk Sat 02-May-15 08:14:30

Fair enough. Get her something fun like Letts Mythical Maths then. They are pretty and engaging. Also have a look at apps if you have an iPad. Lots of fun ones about for practicing times tables etc. And maybe mathletics online?

goingmadinthecountry Sat 02-May-15 12:41:51

Just looked through the L6 SPaG Scholastic papers I bought because dd's teacher has decided to enter her. Question 1:

Your task is to write a powerful, but balanced letter to persuade your headteacher, that school uniform should be abolished.

Interesting use of commas for a SPaG paper. Do I trust these people? Not all workbooks are even correct.

ltk Sat 02-May-15 13:17:46

goingmad grin

LePetitMarseillais Sat 02-May-15 13:27:17

CPG have served us well with our older children.

However with a year 3 child I'd go with the Letts Wild books.V colourful and full of animal facts,my year 5 child really enjoys them.They do younger ones.

Carol Vorderman books are more kid friendly too for younger kids but not as colourful as Letts.My dd doesn't like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now