Should I move my DC?

(6 Posts)
rebus1 Thu 30-Apr-15 10:31:44

I teach in the town I live in. my DC attend another school. I work three days a week and am finding I feel more and more disconnected from my DCs' school.

I am considering moving them in September to the school I teach in. They are quite different schools and there are aspects I like about both.

My DD is happy in her current school but my DS isn't. I don't know if he'd be any happier elsewhere though.

If I moved them I would be able to do all the drop offs/pick up, sports days, assemblies etc. and I know DC would like this. They already have a little grumble if I'm at work.

Not sure if I'm being a bit selfish to consider this though.

DeeWe Thu 30-Apr-15 10:53:13

I don't think you're being selfish, but I'm not sure whether you have totally thought through the cons aswell as the pros.

You would be able to be at sports days/assemblies, but you still wouldn't be there as mum-some children like this, some hate it.
Might mean that you're not able to get into the assembly because you're mopping up a child from your form who's been sick, or you miss the race they won because a parent had just stopped you to ask you about why little Jonny hasn't moved up reading books when he friend has etc.

You've also got to consider that they'll be taught by your collegues-even the ones you don't like wink and they will be noticed by anyone on mn as a "teacher's child" and hence if they get any award/parts/anything special it will be entirely due to you, not any ability on them.

They may like being a teacher's child, they may hate it. I knew people in both camps on that one. In fact my dm taught twins one of whom hated it so much he used to walk round the corner to be picked up, and never admitted he was related to his twin or his dad. The other twin loved it and made the most. grin

rebus1 Thu 30-Apr-15 21:42:50

Thanks, I hadn't considered all those cons! they're young so would be keen to be with me at the moment but maybe not when they're year 6! Their current school has better facilities and it's better funded, my school had a more interesting curriculum IMO.

HouseAnxiety Thu 30-Apr-15 21:52:21

Moving my sons to my school is the best thing I ever did smile

I'm sure there are cons but I've not had any yet (2 years in).

HouseAnxiety Thu 30-Apr-15 21:54:15

Also, my kids love the fact that I teach at their school. They're F2 and Y3.

rebus1 Thu 30-Apr-15 22:38:30

That's good to hear, mine will be y1 andy3 in September I also have another DC going into y6 but not planning tho move them as it is the final year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now