Old KS1 Curriculum vs New KS1 Curriculum

(11 Posts)
PieArseSquared Tue 28-Apr-15 15:58:07

Hello. I've been told by the teachers that the new KS1 curriculum is "a lot harder" than the old one but I've had a look through and I can't see much difference.

Does anyone have a link to a list of the differences between them please?

mrz Tue 28-Apr-15 17:25:33

www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/PRIMARYASSETSNEW/Curriculum_Change/English2014Curriculum_changes_proof.pdf
www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/PRIMARYASSETSNEW/Curriculum_Change/Maths2014Curriculum_changes_proof.pdf

PieArseSquared Tue 28-Apr-15 17:41:43

Thank you - that's exactly what I was after, but google let me down!

mrz Tue 28-Apr-15 18:04:01

michaelt1979.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/changes-presentation.pptx

PieArseSquared Wed 29-Apr-15 15:32:39

Thanks again. To me as a parent, the changes don't seem as big as the teachers were suggesting. Are you a teacher mrz? Do you think the changes for y1 are quite big? Thanks.

greener2 Wed 29-Apr-15 20:17:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Thu 30-Apr-15 07:35:42

Expectation are definitely higher in the new curriculum (the government seem to believe that moving curriculum content from a higher year group to younger children will raise standards)

PieArseSquared Thu 30-Apr-15 17:56:40

Year one doesn't seem so different, mrz? I've had one child do the old one and one child doing the new one, and their workbooks look pretty similar (although the older one is from memory of course) - only number bonds to 20 seems significantly harder? (And writing numbers to 20 in words isn't really maths, is it? smile )

mrz Thu 30-Apr-15 18:40:29

And reliably counting 100 objects and writing numbers to 100 and beyond
And recognising /finding halves and quarters of objects or quantities
And know the inverse facts for number bonds to twenty
And solve one step problems involving multiplication and division
And describe position, directions and movement using quarter, half and three quarter turns
And solve problems involving length, mass and capacity

mrz Thu 30-Apr-15 18:41:04

And that's just maths

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 02-May-15 20:12:42

God have just seen for first time. That bloody depressing. Surely this will turn off lots of kids to learning if they are rushed through in such a soulless and tedious way. My my two are Y2 and reception so haven't had this horror yet. It looks like the curriculum of an out of date prep school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now