Thomas's Kensington

(18 Posts)
Malako Sat 24-Jan-15 13:21:37

hi,
My daughter has an offer from Thomas's Kensington. We do not know any parents whose children are going to the school. I desperately need advice on the school experience, atmosphere, how academic it is as this is extremely important for us and my daughter has strong academic appetite. Results do not seem very strong. They do not account for all the students exits results as the destination of all 60 pupils is not included in the exit result which is worrying. I am really in much need of advice. I would love to hear from parents whose kids go there. All feedback is welcome. Many thanks.

MMmomKK Sun 25-Jan-15 00:31:59

What are your other choices? Thomas's is not the top choice for an "academic" school in the area. Thomas's is know as a "happy school" - parents and kids are mostly happy.

It is a mixed school and some people really value that as many other choices in the area are single-sex.

KingscoteStaff Sun 25-Jan-15 08:53:09

I know that quite a few children move on to Thomas's Battersea for Year 7 and 8 - that may cause a lack of 'stellar' destination schools on the Year 6 leavers list.

Malako Sun 25-Jan-15 09:27:26

we are waiting to hear back from glendower and francis holland. I think we have an option at pembridge hall (not my cup of tea). Francis holland is too far from us while thomas's a almost walking distance. glendower is a bus ride away but this complicates the morning logistics. Also, I have son so it would be easier for them to go to the same school. However, academic performance is very important, so really difficult.

EdithWeston Sun 25-Jan-15 09:30:58

The Thomas group as a whole does fine for 11+/13+ but I don't know this particular branch.

It (the group) has a reputation for being very hearty and quite 'sink or swim'. If your DC is not a self-starter or does not cope easily with expectations, this may well not be the place.

Malako Sun 25-Jan-15 09:35:31

thank you both.
Also, are you aware whether thomas's caters for different abilities?
MMmomKK: which schools would you consider to be academic in the area? there are the south ken schools I am aware of (falkner house and glendower) and Bute house which we tried for but did not get a place in the ballot.

Malako Sun 25-Jan-15 09:44:17

Thank you EdithWeston. She is very much a self starter and really clever (academically genuinely not just because I am her mum, although one can never be fully objective). I am confident she will do well there.

The issue I am worried about is the exit results and level of ambition for the students especially since maybe they would prefer the students to transfer to other Thomas's schools, so not much focus on preparing them for 11+.

w8mum Sun 25-Jan-15 15:48:29

I have personal experience of the school, although it may be outdated. My teenage son was there some years ago. When he was in Year 2, the three cleverest girls in his year sat for 7+ exams in Bute House and were successful. I would think the more academic schools in the area are Bute, Falkner , Glendower and Kensington Prep. We did find Thomas's to be a nurturing, happy place. You might consider starting your daughter off there, then trying Bute or City of London Girls at 7+.

MMmomKK Sun 25-Jan-15 19:41:38

Falkner House and Glendower would be the "more academic" in this area. Bute House you can try again at 7+.

Schools like Thomas's and Queens Gate have the same issue for me personally. They do say that they prepare girls for 11+. However, as they have an option to stay on, the quality of exam prep is just not the same. Sure, the brightest top 3 would do well (as they would have done in any other OK school), but I wonder what hapends to everyone else. There are not many options for girls who stay until 13, or is there?

At least, Queens Gate has an upper school going all the way to University. However, it is a back up school at 11+ for the lower bottom of the class in Glendower or FH.

Hope you get good news from you other schools. It is not an easy choice, especially when you have more than 1 DC to consider.

Malako Mon 26-Jan-15 23:16:40

Thank you everyone. We got into Glendower.
My heart tells me Thomas's. The school is very warm and caring and has a great feel about it. Everyone we met was wonderful, considerate and peaceful.
My mind firmly tells me Glenower for the academic achievement. My daughter is tough and smart and will do well in Glendower. However, i worry she will be pushed too hard and whether the girls there are happy.
Thomas's is a walking distance. Glendower we have to take a bus from kensington, opposite direction from where I work.
Do you think Thomas's will not offer my son a place few years down the line if I turn down their offer for my daughter.
I would be very intereted in hearing from others who were faced with the same decision. Thank you

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 27-Jan-15 10:09:30

I would honestly go for thomas's, gut feeling is very important and so is a school within walking distance, it will make a huge difference to all your quality of life. You will also have a sibling place and I know, from personal experience, that having your dc in the same school makes life so much easier. I know children who went to Thomas's, they all loved it and seem pretty bright, I don't think they'll be short-changed academically.

Chocolateteacake Sat 31-Jan-15 13:51:27

Hmmmmmm. Meet kids and decide. Have you met the head? Warm and caring... Its a hothouse.

Malako Sat 31-Jan-15 15:18:00

Chocolate cake, thanks you. Pls tell me more. Thomas's is the one school I know NOONE in. I met the head she is much softer than the head of the south ken girls schools. Much appreciate your input

dandelion111 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:07:22

Hi Malako, just wondered what you decided on in the end as Im currently in a very similar situ!

Hamptons99 Sat 20-Feb-16 13:00:18

I am wondering what you decided. We accepted Glendower for our daughter and was thrilled when she eventually got offered a place from the waitlist.

Hamptons99 Sat 20-Feb-16 13:04:15

You may also find www.knightsbridge-village.com helpful - a network just for RBKC moms with kids in private school so there'll be dozens of parents from both schools that can give you first hand info & advice. Or if you are comfortable doing things directly just hang out in one of the Cafes near the school after drop off. Most mornings there will be a few parents there you can chat to and most of them are very keen to tell you about their school and offer advice.

mumof2nottinghill Sun 15-Jan-17 22:31:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Biw Mon 16-Jan-17 13:39:36

Mumof2 I am surprised to read those comments about the Head etc. I thought Thomas's was the holy grail of prep schools. Some parents do rave about it but I agree the exit results at 11+ is not as good as other preps in the area especially for girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now