Count in 2s, 5s and 10s

(14 Posts)
gymnasticrobotics Sun 18-Jan-15 08:21:42

I am confused but isn't that the same as learning the times tables for 2, 5 and 10?

Panzee Sun 18-Jan-15 08:22:53

Yes and no. They also need to be able to count from other numbers, e.g. 1 3 5 7 9.

gymnasticrobotics Sun 18-Jan-15 08:47:33

I see, thanks Panzee! Do you know how the children are supposed to learn it, by rote memory, or by counting (with fingers? number line?)? My DS is in reception and can count to 100 (slowly........) I can't comprehend how he can learn counting in 2, 5 and 10s!

Iggly Sun 18-Jan-15 08:49:38

Why does he need to learn now?

But I would have thought you'd learn your times tables I.e. 1x5=5 and so on then you just shortcut 5, 10, 15. Same for all times tables.

ANewMein2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 08:53:37

Gosh are they teaching it in reception now!II'm so glad ours was play based!!

Iirc 10s was taught same time as the concept of tens and units - so the concept as there as well as rote learning. The had those maths cubes and built up the concept of tens and units for a while, transferred to writing. Then went back to a number square and looked at the pattern.

Similarly colouring every other one in and talking about odd and even. Both were over several weeks of small daily bites.

I have a v.bright child as far as I can see.
. But I wouldn't have wanted her being pushed into those kind of maths concepts in yr r. Maybe games where you take it in turns to call numbers (odd/even introduction) but not the rest. They''re only 4/5 and half wouldn't even be in school in Scotland.

ANewMein2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 08:55:13

I'd spend time in reception just being secure with counting up and back from any number and writing numbers correctly... And playing !

mrz Sun 18-Jan-15 09:01:55

Easiest way to begin counting in 2s is to whisper 1 shout 2 whisper 3 shout 4 ... Once thus is secure miss out the whisper so - 2 - 4 - finally moving onto 2,4,6 ...

mrz Sun 18-Jan-15 09:02:38

It's always been taught in reception

gymnasticrobotics Sun 18-Jan-15 09:50:58

Thanks everyone! DS is not learning it at the moment but I thought I saw counting in 2s (or maybe 10s as well) as end of reception targets somewhere so just got me curious.

PastSellByDate Sun 18-Jan-15 10:19:47

just to say it was taught in Y1 at our school (yes mrz I know what your thinking - but for both DDs addition/ subtraction/ counting at intervals was KS1 business).

gymastics - counting at intervals of 2/5/10 is doing several things

as you said, it's laying the foundation for understanding x2, x5 and x10 tables.

but

it's teaching children standard intervals to jump ahead (preparation for addition in general and carrying in addition) - if you presume that counting standardly prepares them for adding 1 - if you also know intervals for 2/ 5/ 10 you basically can add more swiftly making a nubmer of mental jumps:

for example 8 + 7 can be broken down into 8 + 2 = 10/ 10 + 2 = 12/ 12 + 2 = 14 and 14 + 1 = 15 or 8 + 5 = 13 and 13 + 2 = 15.

It's not exactly a straightforward or obvious jump from the concept of counting in intervals to using that knowledge to assist more complex addition - but it's starting to build that underlying understanding of how numbers work.

in some schools they also work this backwards - so counting down from 100 in intervals of 10 - teaching them standard intervals for borrowing (in preparation for subtraction involving borrowing).

it's also teaching them patterns.

all mutliples of 10 end in zero
all multiples of 5 end in 5 or zero
all multiples of 2 end 0/2/4/6/8

this pattern becomes useful in decoding factors (what x what makes 60 - that ends in zero so factors can include 2, 5 or 10).

finally - learning to count by twos also teaches doubling/ halving - both of which are fundamental concepts underpinning a lot of later maths work - including learning other times tables (i.e. x4/ x6/ x8 and x12 - which can be learned as doubling other times table facts you know - i.e. 4 x 8 is the same thing as 2 x 8 = 16 and then double that = 32).

they may also notice that 5 + 5 = 10 (2 fives = 1 ten) and start to learn that relationship - anything x 5 is half of what it would be x10.

HTH

ANewMein2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 10:20:06

Ah sorry Mrz - I'd definitely defer to you! I've only seen it from a parents perspective smile

I suspect our school laid foundations in reception but only explicitly taught in Yr1? My daughter (top sets for what its worth) only came home saying "I can count in 10s, listen mum," in year 1. She was doing the kind of games with the whispering in yr1 and then nummber squares and then actually explaining to me - Of course a lot more goes on in school than we see!

mrz Sun 18-Jan-15 11:40:09

I'm sure her reception teacher will have taught counting pairs of socks, gloves and wellies 2p coins animals entering the ark etc

ANewMein2015 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:54:36

My yr1 girl came home today saying, "look mum I can count in 5s 5 10 15 20......100".

I suspect mrz is right they laid all the foundations in reception so when they "teach" it in yr 1 explicitly it just seems to go in!

Kiducation Thu 12-May-16 16:56:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now