The Lyceum school since take over by Minerva?

(16 Posts)
Schoolbedoo Wed 15-Oct-14 16:51:53

DS has a place here starting 2015 and I'm wondering how things are since the Minerva takeover. We liked the school when we viewed it but has anything changed? How is morale? Have teachers or pupils left due to any disruption? Would appreciate any views from parents whose children go there.
Thanks

Schoolbedoo Wed 15-Oct-14 19:49:30

Bump.
Or if your children go there, what are the good bits and bad bits?

avacat Thu 16-Oct-14 22:39:45

Bump. I'd like to know too. Hoping someone comes along.

Schoolbedoo Fri 17-Oct-14 19:52:49

Looks like we're out of luck avacat. Out of interest do you have a second choice?

avacat Fri 17-Oct-14 23:22:23

We're on the waitlist for Gatehouse and have a new state school in our area. DC is also down for the assessment at St Pau's Cathedral School but really don't know how they will assess a 3 year old!

avacat Fri 17-Oct-14 23:24:20

St Paul's! And keeping an eye on the state school-the others here are not very good

TinseltownLondoner Sun 19-Oct-14 22:18:58

I can't offer any help here but we're also in the same position. We how have a reception place for 2015 and are now considering the local state options as they seem to have improved in the last few years. The lack of outside space at the Lyceum is also really starting to concern me a lot more than it did, the 3 year old has a lot of energy to burn off!

CruCru Tue 28-Oct-14 17:42:17

I met the new head recently and was impressed. They have put in a planning application to expand the school - I hope it goes through.

piattobianco Fri 10-Apr-15 23:26:57

Hi everyone! My son is down for a place at the Lyceum in Sep 2015. My neighbour's son is in year 3 or 4 and tells me she hasn't noticed any negative changes in the atmosphere since the PE deal and that the new head is liked by most parents. I am due to see him in a few weeks so will have something to report back on!

The lack of outdoor space really puts me off too but if they get approval for their extension plans they will not only get brand new facilities (including an extra floor and a kitchen - bye bye packed lunches?) as well as a rooftop play area, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Can I ask the parents here who are considering the Lyceum for their children... where do you all live and do you work within walking distance from the school?

RedFleur123 Fri 11-Sep-15 14:32:09

I've posted this a few places in the hope you pick this up.

The school was bought by an equity firm. Original heads sold it off.
The new head only lasted a year in 2014.
Expect school expansion, double form entry and sale again. They want to sell the idea to the Middle East.
Fees have increased by 5%. Lots of staff changes. All sad.
I have children at the school and we're upset. I don't know if it
can survive as we knew it. Such a shame.
My child lost count of how many French teachers they've had.
Management is a shambles. Were know borrowing a French teacher for 2 months.

chocolatecakeisnice Mon 14-Sep-15 06:54:04

Sorry to hear things are unsettled at the Lyceum. If parents are looking for alternatives there is Rosemary Works School just near Shoreditch Park in Hackney. My DC goes there and we're really happy with it. The ethos and education are fantastic and the school's atmosphere is very warm and welcoming. They have outside space and have just had some major refurbishment done. They also now have an Upper School that is expanding.

chocolatecakeisnice Mon 14-Sep-15 06:59:03

rosemaryworks.wordpress.com

CruCru Mon 14-Sep-15 13:18:24

I'm sad to hear that RedFleur. Does that mean that Edwin Brown has moved on?

hker Tue 11-Oct-16 14:47:59

Hi - similarly, we've been offered places here. Just wondering whether anyone has any more recent thoughts on this school? - have things settled down a bit? Thanks

mangomom Tue 25-Oct-16 12:50:27

Hi, we have been offered a place here and I generally love the look of it, or maybe the look of how it used to be? I would like to hear from parents of children who actually go here at the moment, about the current situation. Has it all settled down?

I've read all of RedFleur123's posts on various threads, any time Lyceum has come up recently, actually. Useful-ish, though obviously this is the opinion of one person and it would be good to hear from other people, especially people who have experienced the school through 2015 and 2016.

mangomom Tue 01-Nov-16 11:16:40

As nobody has replied, I'll put in my opinions having attended the open day this morning.

We watched band practice, which starts the mornings for some of the kids, and though they are probably not ready for Carnegie Hall just yet, their skills were impressive for a group of primary school children. We also met the Year 6 children, who seemed a happy and friendly group, and we asked them questions and they gave us frank and unfiltered answers.

We then walked around the facilities. Like any school in the city, yes it does suffer from lack of outdoor space. I think they have done a good job with the space they do have. I wasn't sure how the indoor playground would work, but then I saw children playing on it and I can see that it's probably totally fine for letting off a bit of steam for 10-15 minutes at a time, especially given they also go to the park every day.

The downstairs classrooms have clearly had every effort put into them to make them feel like they are not in a basement, and actually I rather liked their open-plan feel. Yes it is small and yes they will have trouble in the future if they don't manage to find extra space. Right now it seems fine.

In terms of academic structure, I feel that for tiny kids, Dallington probably has the edge on Lyceum, with its topic-based exploratory work, but Lyceum offers a more formalised environment which for my children would be more suitable especially as they get older (your own kids may be different).

Their plans to put an extension on the top of the building have come to nothing, but they are looking to acquire another building nearby for the early years/reception children, which would be ideal really.

I was hugely impressed with the head, Vanessa Bingham. She clearly has a strong focus on providing value for money when it comes to education. I got the feeling that, like all of us, she also does not think it's ideal that schools are sometimes managed by for-profit organisations, (but she pointed out the benefits of centralising some of the admin/HR/etc and I don't disagree). Her own personal approach to providing a top-notch education appeared faultless.

I went in with some trepidation, but I came away thinking this is really one of the better city schools I've seen, Minerva notwithstanding. I am sure the last couple of years of huge upheaval have been upsetting for existing parents and kids--though the Year 6 kids we spoke to today, when we asked what had changed in the last year and a half, only talked about positive things they had seen: better use of existing space, more clubs tailored to their interests, teachers offering new topics like philosophy, and so on. They genuinely didn't seem bothered about any of the other big changes that I'm sure all of the parents in the room today knew about.

Just my two cents for anyone else who may be looking for more recent information like I was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now