Moving house - changing primary schools - experiences please?

(9 Posts)
Summerdaydreams Thu 28-Aug-14 13:06:09

Hello, we are planning on moving away from the area we currently live in and I am just looking for some advice, experiences of those, who have moved with school-aged children.
DD is 5 and starts year 1 in September. I understand that we cannot apply for new schools until we have exchanged, but we are wondering how easy it is to get your child into a school in the new area. How does it work?
We are mindful that dd will be leaving her friends but hope that in doing it sooner rather than later, it will make the transition easier?
What if we move to the area and the are no places?

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Thu 28-Aug-14 14:09:28

Can I jump aboard, even to offer support. I'm moving cities. Ds will be starting Juniors/ Y3 next week. I'd love to be moved and settled by Christmas. My house isn't on the market yet.

tiggytape Thu 28-Aug-14 14:29:45

You can only be offered a school place from those that have spaces in Year 1. You can also ask to be added to the waiting lists of other schools where their Year 1 is currently full in the hope that a space becomes free eventually. Your initial offer therefore might not be the school closest to your new house if that school is full.

You can also appeal for a place but where the class sizes are 30 this is unlikley to succeed since 30 is the legal limit for Year 1 and is pretty much set in stone. If you appeal for a place at a school with fewer than 30 per class, you stand a better chance of winning. Anyone applying for a year 3 place doesn't have this constraint and can appeal more easily since there is no legal limit for class sizes after Year 2.

Your new address affects your waiting list places - if you move to live next to a great school with no spaces, your child will be placed near the top of the waiting list since the lists are ordered using admissions criteria not 'first come first served'

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Fri 29-Aug-14 08:55:37

Interesting to note about class sizes. Ds has been in a class of 32 in Years 1 and 2.

spanieleyes Fri 29-Aug-14 09:12:47

The two extra children will be what are known as " excepted children" who for various reasons don't count in the total

tiggytape Fri 29-Aug-14 15:18:10

If there are 32 in a Year 1 class, it will be for very good reasons that allow the class size law to be breached. Examples include an admissions error that wrongfully denied 2 children a place or 2 children with a statement naming the school joining outside the normal admissions round (or one of each). Excepted children are children who come under special criteria and aren't counted in the numbers.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Fri 29-Aug-14 17:27:00

It's a faith school and only about 50% of children are baptised. It is a popular school and I preferred the smaller class size in YR. I would think a maximum of 30 should include looked after children and those with exceptions. His year group is 40ish. They have mixed year groups to manage the larger than a class year group.

The school I'm thinking of changing him to has a class and year size of 30. We will live in the catchment area. Until I am able to contact them, I won't know how an application will be viewed.

How far are you moving? We moved in November last year and kept our DS in his school. It was a 40min drive but for him he needed the continuity and his teacher was fab. He started at our catchment school this week and so far is loving it.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Fri 29-Aug-14 17:44:26

Moving 100 miles from West Midlands to North West. He is 7 and will start year 3. He doesn't want to leave his current school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now