Primary schools in evesham

(11 Posts)
Tillyanna76 Wed 27-Aug-14 16:34:42

Hi everyone I'm moving to evisham in 2 weeks so currently have to contact the education to get places at primary schools! My children are 6&8 . Can anyone recommend good schools please with lots going on as in gymnastics, football etc gringrin

teacherwith2kids Wed 27-Aug-14 17:51:10

Evesham, as you probably know, is a 3-tier system. The town, and the immediate surrounding area, has First schools from Reception to Y5, Middle Cchools Y6 - Year 8 and High Schools Y9-Y13. Of the High schools, Prince Henry's is the best-regarded and higher performing.

In common with most schools in that area, the High School is at the top of a 'Pyramid' of what it calls 'natural feeder schools'
www.princehenrys.worcs.sch.uk/?page_id=4467#

It has a specific - and odd-shaped - catchment area, which has the two middle schools of Bredon and St Egwin within it.

Bredon serves a wide rural catchment containing many 'village' first schools in the area. St Egwins contains a couple of 'in town' First schools - Swan Lane and St Andrews CE. So one way you might want to approach this is to say, if you live in Prince Henry's catchment - map at
www.princehenrys.worcs.sch.uk/?page_id=313 - then you might want to look at Swan Lane or St Andrews, followed by St Egwin's, because then your children will 'move up through' the system with children all going to similar schools, and tghrough the 'higher performing' of the 2 alternative school pyramids.

Elsewhere, if you are looking for a larger school with lots going on, Bengeworth might be worth a look. Feeds into Simon de Montfort midde and then Evesham High. Long standing head has just retired, though, so could be in for a period of change.

teacherwith2kids Wed 27-Aug-14 17:57:31

Ofsted, by the way, rate Bengeworth Oustanding (the onward schools of Simon de Montfort is 'Good but a long history of special measures / Satisfactory until a hard federation with Evesham high' and Evesham High as Good). Swan Lane and St Andrews CE are both 'Good' First Schools, but St Egwins and Prince Henry's High School are rated Outstanding.

Tillyanna76 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:25:48

Thanks for all that, I'm living very central to the village off coopers lane . I've no idea about the tier system to be honest , I'm used to primary and secondary that's it!! Thanks so much for your responses they've helped so much!! Looks like I need to research further shockshock

teacherwith2kids Wed 27-Aug-14 18:39:59

Aopologies that I can't be of more help with specific schools. It is an area I know of, but don't live in, so I can't give you any insight from a parents' perspective.

Tillyanna76 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:12:37

No that's been helpful thankyou, it's a job move and happened really quickly so trying to make the best out of the situation, all help is appreciatedsmile

Poppingtotheshops Thu 28-Aug-14 11:44:25

Closest school to you will be St Richards which feeds into Simon De Montfort then Evesham High. St Richards is good. Simon De had a bad ofsted a few years ago but has had money, resources and new staff and is now good. Simon De and Evesham High have just joined together becoming one new school which means staff will have longer to build relationships with children.

Bengeworth is outstanding and has just become an academy but will have a new head, so don't know what will happen in the future. Usually feeds into Simon De but some children have gone to Bredon Hill Middle School and St Egwins this year. It is spread across 2 sites with ks1 on one base and ks2 on another about a 10 min walk from each other.

Swan Lane is in town, rated good feeds into St Egwins then Prince Henry's.

St Mary's is a catholic school in town, rated good. Only primary school to go to year 6. Children usually feed into St Benedicts in Alcester but quite a few also leave at end of year 5 to feed into middle school system in Evesham.

St Egwins middle school has better reputation than Simon De and feeds into Prince Henry's High School, although I know some children have managed to get into Prince Henry's from Simon De too.

Prince Henry's has a better reputation than Evesham High and is outstanding.

They all have things like breakfast clubs, choirs, football clubs.

Tillyanna76 Fri 29-Aug-14 15:22:41

Oh my word shockshock a whole lot of information to take in!! Thanks so much that really helps me! I'm viewing a few on Monday thanks again !!!

therailwaychildren Fri 29-Aug-14 19:02:32

No useful info to add, Tillymama, but I used to live very near Evesham and it's a fantastic part of the world!

Tillyanna76 Fri 29-Aug-14 22:10:51

I hope so , it's a new start for me so fingers crossed gringrin

Poppingtotheshops Sat 30-Aug-14 13:19:10

Go with your feelings when you visit the school. I have friends with kids at Swan Lane , Bengeworth and St Mary's. All the kids are happy and love going to school.

Let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now