Cool Milk - requesting Whole Milk for a child

(18 Posts)
PseudoBadger Tue 26-Aug-14 21:57:16

Does anyone know whether individual requests from a parent for their child to have whole milk rather than semi skimmed will be granted?

Many thanks

jamtoast12 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:24:41

Try their q&a page though their literature says kids over 5 don't need full fat milk.

FabulousFudge Tue 26-Aug-14 22:26:44

I thought all school milk was whole milk?

Hulababy Tue 26-Aug-14 22:27:21

I work at an infant school and last year there was def one child granted whole milk. Rest has semi as far as I know. The full fat/whole milk came separate.

I know this as said child left mid term. Caretaker rang the milk people to cancel the "whole" milk. Sure enough, the whole order of milk was cancelled - well, the whole order of semi was - all that turned up the next day was the one fullfat carton!

starlight1234 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:28:00

We don't even get milk at our school..Can I ask why you want full fat milk...

jamtoast12 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:58:15

From cool milks website-

"We provide semi-skimmed milk in line with guidance issued by the Food Standards Agency and the School Food Trust. You can request whole milk by emailing us at amend@coolmilk.com. The FSA says that children should switch from whole to semi-skimmed milk at the age of two, and the School Food Trust also recommends that primary school children should receive semi-skimmed rather than whole milk."

expectingno2 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:38:57

That is interesting. My 8 year old still has full fat. At 4% fat it is hardly high fat so not sure why we would switch to semi skimmed? Is it the anti fat brigade do you think??

PseudoBadger Wed 27-Aug-14 22:08:48

It is them indeed expecting! We all drink whole milk here.
They emailed me and said I'd need a medical letter for ds's requirements if I wanted him to have whole milk. Actual PMSL.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 27-Aug-14 22:55:02

I can't believe they have asked for a medical letter. I am shocked at that.

neither of mine have had it, the eldest was 5 2 days before starting in Reception so we would have had to pay for it all year so I said no and then didn't for the other one as the older one would have whined.

PseudoBadger Wed 27-Aug-14 23:02:08

"We do advise for only children under the age of 2 to receive whole milk, and that children over the age of 2 to receive semi-skimmed milk due to this containing more nutrients and a lower fat content.

Is there any dietary requirements that DS may have? If so we generally require a medical letter stating these requirements to enable us to offer a change of milk for DS."

The only requirement I have is that I don't think he needs to have what is essentially a diet product. It annoys me that the government's view on 'healthy' eating is so so skewed. Bloody Change 4 Life.

Any way, I don't think I can be arsed with a mega kerfuffle so he can just have the semi skimmed there and whole milk at home.

alwaysdoinglaundry Wed 27-Aug-14 23:08:20

Semi skimmed is hardly diet. To be honest, child obesity is such a huge problem that I'd agree with semi skimmed over the age of 2 and it is presumably more expensive for the school to vary. Is it such a big deal that you want to kick up a fuss over it?

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 27-Aug-14 23:09:05

My boys (8 and 20) really dislike semi skimmed; they think it is too watery. DS1 says that at least the fashion for semi skimmed means his milk doesn't get nicked out of his Uni flat fridge.

Annoyingly my girls will only drink semi skimmed; whole milk is too creamy....

squiggletea Thu 28-Aug-14 06:47:04

I always thought it was the other way around - whole milk had more nutrients. That's why it was recommended for younger children.
If children had full fat milk mid morning, do you think they'd eat less rubbish at lunchtime? Just a thought??

jamtoast12 Thu 28-Aug-14 07:26:02

I thought the reason was because the nutritional content was the same so only difference is calories. My kids have had semi skimmed since two and so taste wise don't know any difference. I haven't bought whole milk for years.

jamtoast12 Thu 28-Aug-14 07:30:02

https://www.coolmilk.com/node/65

www.dairycouncil.co.uk/consumers/faqs/if-i-drink-semiskimmed-milk-will-i-miss-out-on-calcium

It seems with the exception of vitamin A, semi skimmed has MORE nutrients than whole milk.

squiggletea Thu 28-Aug-14 09:34:18

You mean last time I had this discussion I was right :-)

I do think it's a good way to fill up children with dietary needs - one of mine needs as much filling out as possible and the other doesn't.

Personally, I'd decline Coolmilk's kind 'subsidised' offer and provide milk at home before and after school. 22p for a third of a pint??? And the way they word their invoices - my child wasn't even at that school! (Sorry, bit of a bugbear ofmine... It was 4 years ago, I should get over it...)

thetropicmama7 Thu 28-Aug-14 14:33:39

I was the same and would have preferred whole milk for my little ones. The whole milk here in the UK is actually way less "fat" than whole milk elsewhere. I think it is the places where people go overboard with anti-sugar/gluten/wheat/dairy/fat/salt that have more problems with childhood obesity etc. I have lived in countries where the media doesn't go gaga over these and obesity in kids is never an issue as everything is consumed in moderation.

littlejohnnydory Sat 30-Aug-14 12:50:07

You could send in whole milk for him? I send soya milk for my ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now