Hillingdon Primary Schools- HELP!

(16 Posts)
Proudmummy2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 21:50:10

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on which are the best primary schools to send my DD. I have only recently moved to Uxbridge so am not familiar with which are the good schools in the area.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advace

Bookmonster345 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:18:07

I live in the local area and my children went to school in the area. If you are catholic, St Mary's Primary school is meant to be great, and has a good ofstead. Also, if you are COE St Andrew's is a very good school and has amazing links with clubs in the local area, particularly with the music service. Other schools include Glebe in Ickenham, I have friends who went there and were very happy, Oak Farm, which has a very bad reputation, and is perceived as many as somewhere that only 'chavs' attend, Whitehall junior school, which is very large and Hermitage Primary School, which is okay if your child is at the bottem or middle of the class, but doesn't do enough to help its top students. It has also recently undergone some building works, and therefore the school looks more like a building site. I hope this helped, and if you need any more information PM me!

daisybrown37 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:37:24

If you are in Uxbridge, then there is St Marys (RC), St Andrews (COE) and then Whitehall Infants and Hermitage. Whitehall is huge - 120 in reception, but good facilities and head. Our eldest is off to St Mary's. Hermitage had a bad Ofsted but have plans in place - a friend visited and was impressed.

In Hillingdon I know of St Bernadettes and Oak Farm, both with outstanding ofsted and a local friend said they were seen as very good. Oak farm is over subscribed and a tiny catchment. She said it was Ryefields that had a bad reputation.

Cowley St Laurence (COE) is suppose to be good as well

Proudmummy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 20:11:01

Thank you ladies for replying to my post. So I live off Long Lane (opposite side to where the schools are) and I know Oak Farm is the nearest but am hearing mixed reviews on this school. Also with St Andrews and St Mary's do you have to be Christian, because we are not Christians but I wouldn't mind my child going to the school if it's a good school?

What are your opinions on St Helens Private School? I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money on tuition fees- would they get that much a better education that a state school?!

PrimaryTwist Wed 27-Aug-14 20:57:08

Hermitage is a really dreadful school. It's not good for anyone.

I can't recommend Whitehall either. Although it is better than hermitage.

I don't think you'd get into either St Andrews or St Mary's.

St Helens is a selective private school. If your child is not 'high ability' they'll boot him out. It's really nasty.

Proudmummy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:02:38

@primarytwist- what are your thoughts on Oak Farm?

PrimaryTwist Wed 27-Aug-14 21:29:10

I don't know oak farm well - but I've only heard good things about it.

Hillingdon is also meant to be good.

Proudmummy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:30:56

Thank you- I'll have a look at both as they are both walking distance which would be perfect!

paulapantsdown Wed 27-Aug-14 21:32:38

I hear good things about Oak Farm, and the PE teacher is v hunky and gets letched at by all the mums at the inter school tournaments!

My friends boy got on v well at StHelens.

Hillingdon Primary is very good. Discount Hermitage. My kids went to/1 still at StAndrews and have been very happy. It's a school that's resting on its laurels though and needs a new head.

What about the new school opening in St Andrews park? The dep head of Hillingdon was pap he'd to be the new Head.

paulapantsdown Wed 27-Aug-14 21:36:06

*poached to be the new head!!

Proudmummy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:40:08

Oh I had no idea about a new school opening in St Andrews Park- where is that near? Sorry, still familiarising myself with this area. Sounds like the verdict seems to be Oak Farm & Hillingdon Primary :-)

daisybrown37 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:41:15

New school is called John Locke Academy. On paper it looks good but clearly not open yet!

daisybrown37 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:42:48

It is in the build estate on the old RAF Uxbridge base near Uxbridge town centre.

Proudmummy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:16:43

Oh yes I know where that is now. I guess it's better to go with tried and tested schools?!

paulapantsdown Wed 27-Aug-14 22:18:40

Yeah the old RAF base. I'm sure I saw a photo in the gazette of a sign saying Uxbridge primary though? Who's John Locke when he's at home?

It's just off the main road near the town centre OP. If you are on LOng Lane them Oak Farm or Hillingdon are probably the best for you yes.

Proudmummy2014 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:46:54

Also when is the best time to apply for schools would you say? My DD is 4 months old at the moment but i would like to send her to the associated school nursery too when she's 3. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now