School tights for tall skinny DD (8) - Where to buy?

(11 Posts)
CarrotCakeMuffins Mon 25-Aug-14 13:59:45

I have a very long legged & skinny 8 year old who needs new school tights. She has previously had them from Tesco but last year complained about them falling down (i.e. too big at the waist) whilst also being a bit short.

Does anyone know where I can get ones that may fit better?

Alternatively, I could get her some leggings to wear under her dress / skirt. Again, they would have to be long enough but it would be easier to put tucks in the waist than on tights.

Any suggestions gratefully received, for either suitable tights or leggings.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Mon 25-Aug-14 14:16:40

I am joining your thread in the hope that someone will have The Answer.

Almost 9 y/o is very, very, slim, she's about average height in her year, but she's 'all legs'. The crotch of her tights is always several inches below her crotch or they are the right length...but literally fall off of her.

They have to wear tights for school <sigh>

CarrotCakeMuffins Mon 25-Aug-14 15:18:23

Hello Latte, It's not just me then!

Anyone got any suggestions / recommendations?

noramum Mon 25-Aug-14 21:07:24

Would she be allowed to wear leggings and socks? Or school trousers?

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 25-Aug-14 21:09:38

DD1 did quite well with Tesco ones last year but they have different types so it is possible I bought a different type to the ones you did. The waist was a bit big but she used to wear a vest and tuck that into her tights to help them grip a bit. She was in Yr1 and is skinny but was wearing age 9-10. they were the right length for her.

M&S do over the knee socks, might they be possible?

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 25-Aug-14 21:10:31

Try John Lewis. Ime they are longer than average. Does she need thick or thin tights?

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 25-Aug-14 21:10:53

could you stitch a bit of elastic in the waist? you wouldn't need to put it all the way round, just a few inches perhaps at the back in the centre and if you put it on the outside of the waist band it wouldn't irritate her but would just pull them in a bit more?

PlaydoughGirl Mon 25-Aug-14 21:30:27

My DD is a tall slim 5yo, and I found the H&M ones were very long in the leg - much more so than Debenhams and M&S which we also had. I'm not sure if they would be similar for your DD's age though.

CarrotCakeMuffins Mon 25-Aug-14 22:14:09

Thanks for all your responses.

DD doesn't like to wear just socks as then "I can't do cartwheels" (without showing her knickers), so needs tights or leggings.

She can wear trousers, but I prefer her to have dress / skirt options as well as they last longer - trousers seem to get too short very quickly!

I will have a look in John Lewis and H&M. Luckily I have both locally.

If I need to, I could take tights in at the waist, which I already do with leggings and trousers. I've never done this with tights so far as they are a different sort of material.

Shopping trip this week then...

idril Wed 27-Aug-14 11:05:26

My skinny 7 year old has Pex tights. They are the only ones that don't fall down on her.

expectingno2 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:35:26

Second john lewis they are the only ones that fit my dd. We especially have problems with the feet being really wide on some tights and these are much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now