to take a child out of school for 1 week in october before half term

(15 Posts)
printerbox25 Sun 24-Aug-14 16:17:36

we want to go to butlins as it is much more cheaper before half term...how can i get my child out of school?

Muskey Sun 24-Aug-14 16:21:23

I hope you are flame proof people do get hot under the collar about this question. For what it's worth I think you should do what you think is best but be mindful that you might get fined

tiggytape Sun 24-Aug-14 16:46:25

Well you just take them. Nobody is going to physically stop you.

But if you are asking how to get permission, the answer is probably that you can't. It will be recorded as unauthorised based on what you've said (i.e. no special reasons and just cost being a facctor). As such, you are liable to be fined for each child. If you have a husband or partner with parental responsibility, they are are liable to be fined for each child.
As long as you don't do this again in the year and there aren't ongoing issues with attendance or lateness, it is very unlikely anything else would happen to you.

CatKisser Sun 24-Aug-14 16:48:58

Oh god, can we just sum this up without it turning into the predictable bun fight?

OP - you just take them. If you request holiday it probably won't be granted but if you're set on taking them just do it. However, as a PP said, don't be surprised if you're fined.

JustAShopGirl Sun 24-Aug-14 17:12:38

Our primary school, you filled in a form, the school said it was unauthorised, sent you a little table of how it affects kids long term and you went anyhow. If you asked too often, or your child has bad attendance that was not down to an ongoing health issue you got a letter from the LA - I guess now it would include a fine too.. (£60 each child, each parent)

We did it once - for a trip to Florida, the week before October half term - got a tap on the wrist, had the time of our lives.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 24-Aug-14 17:44:37

Just ring in sick. For a whole week. Ring every day with details of the ever worsening sickness bug. The office staff in schools are really dim, apparently. ;)

scaevola Sun 24-Aug-14 17:49:36

Please don't ring them in sick.

Firstly, they may find it hard not to talk about it at school, which will make the lie useless.

Secondly, all that pulling a sickie actually achieves is huge embuggeration for parents of genuinely ill children (disbelieving attitudes, demands for doctors notes etc). Seriously unfair.

If you have decided you are doing this, then just do it and budget for the fine in case one is levied.

unlucky83 Sun 24-Aug-14 17:57:51

Interesting - we were planning on going away in the October half term (we get two weeks) cos we didn't manage over summer.
DP has had his holiday request turned down sad - his boss won't allow anyone holiday at half term because it is too busy...(first he heard of this -he has never asked before )
He asked his boss how he was supposed to go on holiday with his children and his boss said - 'just take them out of school' shock
Not sure what we are going to do now for a holiday ...I'm still reeling ...
We are in Scotland - so I don't think we'd be fined...but I'd rather not take them out ....especially cos DD1 is at secondary...

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 24-Aug-14 18:17:57

Lying about being sick is usually picked up by the office staff. If it slips through there, the children mention the holiday on their return.

If you want a cheap holiday at there expense of their education then go and budget for the fine.

Don't expect staff to catch them up or moan if they miss out on anything.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 24-Aug-14 19:24:34

I was being tongue in cheek... parents 'ring in sick' either side of school holidays. Office staff aren't as daft as they look.

Fixerupperz Sun 24-Aug-14 19:31:45

Ok, so im kind of in the same situation except its for one day which sounds ridiculous i know but i get anxious about this stuff.
DD is starting reception and we are going away for a long weekend in first week of october, we are going on friday evening and coming back monday afternoon shall i just come clean to the school and explain i cant get time off work etc?

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Sun 24-Aug-14 19:35:33

One week, primary age is not going to ruin their education.

I always took dd1 out in September/October , I was a sp and I could only afford to do it then.

We didn't get fined then but I'd just ring in sick.

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Sun 24-Aug-14 19:38:11

I honestly don't understand the hysteria over one week. You child's life is not going to be ruined because they missed five days of school!

printerbox25 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:56:11

decided to take dd just 1 days off school ( friday) and go womewhere for a week end.

roguedad Sun 24-Aug-14 20:15:00

I'd take the time off and pay the fine if net if saves you money. A week is not going to ruin their education and you should pay no attention to the hysteria about it. This entire business is a nasty intrusion of the state into families taking their own decisions about what is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now