iron on or stick on name label recommendations

(32 Posts)
omama Thu 21-Aug-14 19:53:00

DS starts reception in 2 weeks (eek!) & I've been asked to label everything (clothing). Been looking & def don't want sew-in too much hassle so assume it'll have to be iron on or stick on but which is best?

Also what do people do with socks & shoes?

Recommendations much appreciated.

6031769 Thu 21-Aug-14 20:51:59

i bought some labels called stikins from ebay last year and used them on DS nursery clothes last year. You stick them to the wash label (i can't sew) and then seem to stay on really well, i've never had much luck with iron on ones. You can also stick them in shoes etc. They are abit more expensive than some of the iron on ones you can get but well worth it in my opinion.

creekyknees Thu 21-Aug-14 20:56:06

I use sticky ones like these.

They've survived a years worth of washing!

I brought a 'for Laundry' Pen its fab & fast & dosent wash off.
I did buy the iron on ones & used about 5 their still going strong, but I'm such a lazy arse & couldn't be bothered to iron everything.

MrsPnut Thu 21-Aug-14 21:04:16

We have always used because your child can recognise the picture on them before they can read their name.

We had a school pack when dd2 began reception and I am still using some of them and she goes into year 4 in September. We needed some more clothes ones but the item ones are still the original.

MrsPnut Thu 21-Aug-14 21:05:40

I also write dd2's name in permanent marker on the inside of the waistband of her jumpers. It helps them always come home to use because it can't be cut out.

Incacola Thu 21-Aug-14 21:07:34

I've had a range of name tags from mine4sure and they're great. They do a huge selection of things from iron on clothing labels, special shoe stickers, heat proof stickers.... Their service was great too.

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 21:19:04

Mynametag iron on never come off if you put them on properly grin I don't do on label but some where round next / back of tshirt

Swimmingwithsharks Thu 21-Aug-14 21:28:58

Stuckonyou. Excellent labels in a range of colours and styles and shapes. Shoe labels, iron on labels that don't peel off and dishwasher proof stickers which are great for drink bottles and lunch boxes.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 21-Aug-14 21:32:15

easy2name has a 10% mumsnet discount and has a range of iron/stick on/clip type things/stampers, etc. I am currently using the stickeasy ones you put on the care label.

SusannahD Thu 21-Aug-14 21:34:20

Laundry marker all the way.

beautifulgirls Thu 21-Aug-14 21:47:51

Easy2name iron on woven labels have been great here. I use a laundry marker for the socks and tights or anything smallish, and put shoe labels in shoes.

SparklyFooted Thu 21-Aug-14 21:57:31

easy2name stick ons are ace. They do come loose after a few months, but i just keep a pack upstairs and downstairs for re-labelling in seconds.

easy peasy

todayiamfat Thu 21-Aug-14 22:49:52

Do the ones that sick on stay stuck if put in tumble drier? The reviews on amazon etc only talk about washing. I will definitely need to use the drier (is it dryer or drier?)!

Timeandtune Thu 21-Aug-14 22:53:01

Another vote here for easytoname. Excellent customer service too.

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 23:13:03

I iron on the name tag ones into back if T-shirt, cardi etc They go through dryer every week

MrsPnut Fri 22-Aug-14 06:28:57

Easy2name ones stick on through the tumble dryer and the item ones stay on through the dishwasher.

I had real difficulty peeling some of them off clothes to hand down to a friend's daughter after a year of being stuck on.

Good point about marking the cuffs, to stop people cutting off the labels.

Saying that I'm frequently rummaging through the lost property boxes marveling at all the clothes with name tags on that haven been returned to owners.

BigArea Fri 22-Aug-14 07:37:36

I second My Nametags as linked by Creeky above - you can design them to your liking with little icons, background colour/pattern and font style and colour. DD has yellow star background with purple writing and a purple butterfly icon - v easy for her to spot what's hers

ladybirdandsnails Fri 22-Aug-14 07:44:15

I only have the black and white ones but the picture means even when age 3 they can know which is theirs. I iron on as in the link.

ContinentalKat Fri 22-Aug-14 07:49:18

Have been very impressed with a friend's stampit - you can stamp clothes, shoes, pens, lunchbox, ....
If my 10 year old laundry marker ever dies, it will be stampit for me.

George9978 Sat 23-Aug-14 07:36:46

Permanent marker. I write on the pockets of trousers, waistband of jumpers/ coats and labels of shirts.

The first year I ironed on all of the labels and they did stay on, however lots of friends children ( who hadn't used permanent marker) lost jumpers/ cardigans. Very MC school so a bit shocking.

omama Sat 23-Aug-14 22:13:51

thanks all. I've ordered some iron on ones from mynametags so will soon see what they are like!

ladybirdandsnails Sat 23-Aug-14 22:16:52

My tip is to make sure you get iron temp correct. Too cool and they don't stick properly. Too hot and they melt. If you get it right they are amazing. They fix to the fabric with the name and picture clear and never come off ever

LovingSummer Sat 23-Aug-14 22:21:01

Stickins from eBay here too. I've used them for 2 years and none have fallen off, whereas the iron on ones did after a few washes.

You can use them in shoes too, or drink cups, bags and folders, but I wouldn't bother with socks as they're not expensive to lose and I can't see how they'd stick well on stretchy socks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now