End of reception report question

(12 Posts)
AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:11:43

Hello

I was hoping someone could tell me or point me in the right direction on the end of reception report level. My ds got level 1 emerging in mathematics numbers but 2 expected in shapes, space and measures. What does a child have to be able to do to get expected in the number subject please? And how can they be different grades?

His report said the can count up to 20 but I know he can count up to 100! He may have dyslexia and puts some numbers back to front but he is good at adding and taking away. I have been doing maths workbooks with him all year and doing lots of homework to help him with counting and maths so im upset that none of this has been showen in school. Every night we ask each other simple sums that he does in his head and answers correctly. Im so impressed with his ability to do this and feel sad its not reflected in his report.

Hoppinggreen Fri 11-Jul-14 12:50:02

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but why?
I have son in Reception and he can count up to 100 ( report said 20 like yours) and can do simple sums etc but I wouldn't dream of getting him to do extra homework or maths work books, in many countries they wouldn't even be at school yet.
I know we want to encourage our children but I don't see why you would push him so hard so early.
I took the same attitude with my daughter who is now in year 4 and she has just scored the highest in the year in the assessments so if they are bright there is no need for too much too early

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 11-Jul-14 13:15:56

The report is probably standard wording so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I think if you are concerned you should speak to the teacher and ask if she/he thinks a bit of extra practice in something over the holidays would get him up to the expected level before starting Yr1.

Counting to a certain number is one thing, using the numbers securely is different so it could be based on that. It could be that he hasn't the confidence to do it in class in which case you could work on confidence and self esteem.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:19:14

I dont think my child is bright I think he may be dyslexic like me. I want him to keep up. He also has speech therapy but got 2 expexed in speech and language!

He has worked hard on maths all year and he has improved lots. He has sequanceing issues so got 7, 8,9 in the wrong order so teaching him different ways to remeber the right order and he has now got it.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:26:09

He also got 1 for self confidence and self awearness so you might be right. I understand that they need to see/have evidance of them using the skill three times so maybe its that?

I will see his teacher on tuesday and ask. I just wanted to know what he should be doing to achieve level 2.

I also understand its early and he has time to develop and grow and change and this report is only a snapshot. I would have liked to say look you did really well at counting and this shows that but I cant.

HeyN0nny Fri 11-Jul-14 13:27:41

Um, if your son has sequencing issues and gets numbers the wrong way round, then he probably is 'emerging' rather than 'expected'. That doesn't mean he's not bright - it means that the school has noticed that he has some difficulties, and that they will be keeping an eye on him, in a constructive way. Would you rather be told that he's doing fine, and then have the school suddenly say 'er, actually, we think your son needs extra help here'? Personally I'd rather they picked things up early and intervened early if necessary.

HeyN0nny Fri 11-Jul-14 13:30:27

Go to town on the exceeded and expecteds and let the school work on the emergings! They all work at different paces anyway, he'll be fine - but really, it's much better for the child not to have abilities overstated at such an early stage, because his Y1 teacher will be working off that report too.

HeyN0nny Fri 11-Jul-14 13:35:23

By the way you asked about what he needed to do. Google EYFS framework - or follow this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/271631/eyfs_statutory_framework_march_2012.pdf

And it will give you an idea, although there are plenty of documents to be read in conjunction with each other. It may well be that if you speak to the teacher she thinks your DS is right at the top of 'emerging' but wasn't quite secure enough to be able to be categorised as 'expected'. The range in each category can be enormous.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:39:36

Also on the homework side my ds school homework is two reading books per day and one maths challenge per week and speech therapy work every day for 10 minutes normally a game with c, k, ck, t, qu words.

The extra maths I do with him is asking each other simple sums 1+5= in the car when waiting or in the bath or any time we can as well as whitboard with number and he has to put the missing numbers in for about 5 minutes or so.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:04:46

Thank you for the link. I have looked and I think the doubleing, halving and shareing maybe the reason blush

happyhev1 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:18:07

O would imagine it's the ordering actually, as to get expected he would need to be able to order numbers to twenty as well as say the number that is one more then a number to 20 and one less than a number to 10. Doubling and halving is actually quite simple to get if it's taught well. If your son is dyslexic this could well affect his ability to order, but he will get there in the end. Don't push him to hard though as it could have the opposite effect. Just do lots of ordering games with him, he will get there.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:40:45

It could be that the teacher has spotted the same things I have and thats a good thing for getting help. His school will not test him til 7yo but they are expecting him to do the work now with no help. Its hard and I will talk to his teacher about it. There are other signs of dyslexia not just the maths. He has worked very hard all year and im proud of him for that and I hope his school will help and support him as well.

No pushing just making it fun and rewarding and trying to help and support him if I can. Little and often help best at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now