can you be a level 6 in year 5?

(31 Posts)
ofcoursethisisanamechange Thu 10-Jul-14 10:59:12

just looking to clarify as was told by another parent that 5 is highest level you can achieve in year 5 and wanted to confirm- just want to know the correct facts..

anamenotanumber Thu 10-Jul-14 11:18:47

You CAN be a L6 in year 5 in theory but it depends on whether the school would have taught and tested to that level in maths sufficiently to have enough evidence. Easier to have evidence for writing.

Some headteachers also wouldn't allow a child to achieve L6 in year 5 though as they would freak out about how they would show progress in year 6.

sydlexic Thu 10-Jul-14 11:21:25

You can get a level 6 but it is a different paper. The standard test would be to level 5 but some are also tested at level 6.

ShoeWhore Thu 10-Jul-14 11:25:12

There are a few Yr5 children working at L6 in Maths in our school.

But as the others said, you would have to have been taught/tested at L6 in order to do so.

mummytime Thu 10-Jul-14 11:28:49

There has been a level 6 paper for the last few years. But before that, and from next year there will be no level 6 paper. (And a longish while back there was a level 6 paper I believe - everything repeats.)

But getting level 6 in year 6 doesn't necessarily they will be level 6 in year 7 or are necessarily much brighter than those who "only" get a level 5.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 10-Jul-14 11:30:39

Yes, as above posters have said. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that an exceptionally bright Year 5 pupil could sit & pass the Level 6 paper.

At DS2's primary school though (an Ofsted "Outstanding" state school, if it is relevant to anyone) - the Level 6 paper was only offered to the "top table" of the Year 6 maths class. It was not offered to Year 5 pupils.

P.S. I have only mentioned what type of school DS2 went to as posters may come along to say it is bog standard for private prep schools to have all pupils at a Level 6 by age 4 hmm.

ofcoursethisisanamechange Thu 10-Jul-14 11:34:36

okay- so answer seems to be it depends on the school and what they are willing to do- but is possible-- thanks everyone.

but what is this about no level 6 paper from next year? does that mean that my Y5 child can't sit a L6 SATS paper next year?

ofcoursethisisanamechange Thu 10-Jul-14 11:35:35

should say - can't sit a L6 SATS paper next year when they are in Y6

Flexly Thu 10-Jul-14 13:40:55

Yes in our school there are a group of children in yr 6 who are all heading towards a 6C/6B in maths and English. The school, having identified they're clever kids, put on extra tuition to help push them. Totally depends on the school however.

Lilaclily Thu 10-Jul-14 13:46:00

I think they're scrapping levels aren't they ?

anamenotanumber Thu 10-Jul-14 14:25:17

I think some people are misreading this as L6 in year 6 not year 5.

The levels are being scrapped next year BUT next year's year 2 and 6 will be assessed using them so unless someone somewhere has specifically said there will be no L6 paper, they will be able to get L6.

It's the year after when this will affect yr6 Sats.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 10-Jul-14 14:33:45

Yes.

ofcoursethisisanamechange Thu 10-Jul-14 14:35:05

thanks aname-- that helps clarify it.. so this year (Y5) it is dependent on the school as to whether they can do level 6 work, next year is last year they can sit level 6 SATS paper- thanks

mummytime Thu 10-Jul-14 14:45:18

I had heard from school that there is no level 6 paper next year.

TheEnchantedForest Thu 10-Jul-14 17:08:21

There is definitely a level 6 paper in summer 2015.

from summer 2016 the children will sit (3) papers that will assess their learning on the new curriculum. a although there won't be a separate level paper, content at that level will be included in the paper all children sit.
A scaled point of 100 will equate roughly to a 4b (secondary ready). The higher the point, the higher the 'level' the child is working at.

TheEnchantedForest Thu 10-Jul-14 17:09:04

*although there won't be a separate level 6 paper...

CatKisser Thu 10-Jul-14 18:33:14

I teach year six. In our current year 5 there are 2 pupils who I think would achieve L6 if I gave them the papers tomorrow. This doesn't mean they are currently working at Level 6 all round.
Conversely, I will inherit some kids next year on a 5b for maths, who I need to put into the L6 booster group with a view to them achieving L6. But they won't - some of them don't have the natural aptitude and "feel" for maths that others do. This year I put in a lad who came to me on 5b - he didn't get it; I also put in a girl who entered y6 on 3a and got it.

It's all meaningless really, except to County, EDPs and all those who nothing about how children learn.... (bitter, sorry)

prettydaisies Thu 10-Jul-14 19:02:12

One of my Y3s works at level 6 and beyond. So I would have thought that Y5 can.

RaisinBoys Thu 10-Jul-14 19:43:43

Oh for goodness sake pretty

It's like top trumps - have a y3 "level 6 & beyond"!

anamenotanumber Thu 10-Jul-14 19:52:55

I'm unsure of how a single paper/ set of papers covering L3 to 6 equivalent can have the granularity to see the difference between the lower and upper end properly. Surely a couple of silly errors and that'd be a whole level? I know it won't be levels but hopefully you see my point.

TheEnchantedForest Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:51

I am equally unsure and see your point completely! We will wait and see what the test developers manage to come up with!

spanieleyes Thu 10-Jul-14 19:58:14

Well on the current GAPS test, there are 5 points between a 4c and a 4a! So yes, I would agree there can be a difficulty in defining clear levels!

zingally Thu 10-Jul-14 20:24:39

In theory, yes. In practice, I imagine it's rare and hard to judge accurately.

JustRichmal Thu 10-Jul-14 22:28:45

In answer to the question: Can a child be level 6 in year 5?, the answer has to be yes. The youngest child to attain maths GCSE was 5 years old. Presumably they had attained level 6.

I suspect however such children are doing more than school work. If a child is only taught the curriculum content up to level 5 then they will only be at this level. However, I think also there are others who do additional work at home which takes them above level 6 in year 5. Whether or not the school will recognise their level is another question.

The reply may be that the school does not teach topics of that level, so have no evidence that a child is capable of that level. It depends on the school.

QuintessentiallyQS Thu 10-Jul-14 22:39:29

Ds1 was in y6 last year, and there was a child from y4 having maths lessons with y6. This boy was working at L6, ds1 said he was absolutely amazing at maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now