How much should I pay to sew on name tapes?

(55 Posts)
Pollaidh Fri 27-Jun-14 21:27:51

Huge pile of new school uniform which apparently needs to be name taped and have hanging loop. Have tried iron-on and they don't survive the tumble dryer. Thought I could sew on each end so it could be used as a hanging loop too - seem to remember it's what I had as a child.

Unfortunately I can't sew well at all and don't have time to keep going with my hamfisted attempts. I thought of asking a local 18 yr old who is off to study clothing design, or my cleaner, but not sure how much to offer them. Any ideas?

notnowbernard Fri 27-Jun-14 21:29:31

Permanent marker pen or biro

Quangle Fri 27-Jun-14 21:31:44

I was going to say laundry pen too. It's not very MN but it works and takes microseconds. It's not a hanging loop though _ what kind of a school insists on a hanging loop confused ?

Pollaidh Fri 27-Jun-14 21:41:06

I know! Even if I do marker pen I'd still have to sew on the bloody hanging loops...

notnowbernard Fri 27-Jun-14 21:58:25

Surely they only need loops for costs?!

Don't worry about it. They'll lose their entire uniform in the first term, anyway <bitter>

Letthemtalk Fri 27-Jun-14 22:00:12

Permanent marker on the label?? Only thing which won't have a label is socks, and who cares about socks??

notnowbernard Fri 27-Jun-14 22:02:41

COATS not costs

The assistant matrons (gap year students) at DC's school do it for (iirc) £1 per item.

AlarmOnSnooze Fri 27-Jun-14 22:04:33

Our school insists on hanging loops too.

And name tapes on the outside of all games kit, as well as on the inside. So 3 lots of sewing per garment.

The hanging loops are useful - especially if the children are little - easier to hang something on a peg you can't quite reach if you can throw a loop over the peg.

BackforGood Fri 27-Jun-14 22:05:20

If it's someone you know will be pretty honest about the time it takes them, then work on min wage. It's hardly an onerous task - just do it sitting in front of the tele one night.

Loveleopardprint Fri 27-Jun-14 22:07:51

I find Stikins name stickers very good and they survive the wash/dryer. Not sure how to get around the loops though!

teeththief Fri 27-Jun-14 22:15:21

We use stikins too. And I'm such a cheap arse I only order our (uncommon) surname so both DC can use them!

Ktay Fri 27-Jun-14 22:26:57

Stamptastic supposed to be good although doesn't get round your hanging loop problem

pluCaChange Fri 27-Jun-14 22:41:11

ONE POUND AN ITEM?!?!!

<faints>

I was considering offering this at a school f�te, to raise funds for the PTA, and I thought people might baulk at 10p/item, machine-sewn! shock

I beg their pardon. I just checked the website. It's 50p an item.

pluCaChange Sat 28-Jun-14 14:48:47

Still! Blimey.

MillyMollyMama Sat 28-Jun-14 15:36:59

Can't sew on name tapes? Good grief - ham fisted or not, sewing bee standard is not required!

Toomanyhouseguests Sat 28-Jun-14 15:43:14

Wish I lived in a neighbourhood where people would pay me 50p an item to do this! I'd happily sit in front of the telly and sew on name tapes in the evening.

pluCaChange Sat 28-Jun-14 16:43:38

I certainly would, too, even without any television or wine!

pluCaChange Sat 28-Jun-14 16:54:06

I certainly would, too, even without any television or wine!

Inthedarkaboutfashion Sat 28-Jun-14 16:59:41

Adults who can't sew on name tapes shock

Inthedarkaboutfashion Sat 28-Jun-14 17:00:45

If anybody local has any name tape sewing required I will happily do 15 items for a bottle of wine grin

Catmint Sat 28-Jun-14 17:07:47

If you stitch name tapes just at either end, they become the hanging loop, IYSWIM.

Helpys Sat 28-Jun-14 17:09:34

I'm afraid I'm in the do it yourself you lazy mare camp. grin

LoblollyBoy Sat 28-Jun-14 17:12:59

I was told at an induction session that a hanging loop can be created using the laundry label and a hair band somehow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now