Do any other schools read EVERY book at each level?

(56 Posts)
PatsysPyjamas Wed 25-Jun-14 21:12:19

This is starting to piss me off. In DD's school they have to read every single book at a certain level before they can move up. They are expected to read every night, and she does read more often than not, but it is really becoming a chore. Just checked her reading record and she has read 50 books in Stage 11. Is this really necessary? I am really keen for her to love books, and this seems to take all the fun out of it.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 26-Jun-14 22:24:43

ORT Biff Chip and Kipper books have 32 pages from Stage 7 onwards. Book band 11 usually includes longer books too. Rainbow Fairies count as book band 11

bigbuttons Thu 26-Jun-14 22:29:07

My school does this too, drives me bloody mad. I have had to really fight to skip a level. Dc6 is now coming to the end of it all. I just lie now, sign the book off and he reads what he wants to.
I think the ORT is really good for beginners, but it should be used with flexibility.
The school I am teaching in doesn't use it at all and it's rather r
efreshing to see children choose books that they are actually interested in. yes, sometimes they are too hard or too easy, but IMO it fosters a love of reading.

SixImpossible Thu 26-Jun-14 22:51:11

I don't remember my dc bringing home any reading scheme books with over 25ish pages. Maybe their schools don't take the schemes as far, and move the children on to other literature at that stage.

Anyway, why should she have to read the whole book every time? If she's read it at school, ask her to retell it to you. Choose a page or chapter and read just that, discuss why whatever it is might have happened, or try to predict what is going to happen. Ask her what the character is thinking or feeling. Give 5-10 minutes to the school book, then move on to whatever book she will enjoy more.

PatsysPyjamas Thu 26-Jun-14 22:58:12

She doesn't have to read the whole book every night, but the book isn't changed until she has read it all. And given that she has currently read 42 books in stage 11, over 52 nights (just checked diary), it seems even slower if she only reads a page a day. I do take your point though - she would be better off reading something else.

diamondage Thu 26-Jun-14 23:43:58

That's the problem right there - this system is turning reading into a mechanical process - to try and get through an unknown quantity of books. It's crazy!

DD generally enjoys her school reading books, they are mostly banded correctly (except the ORT books which, imo, have been misbanded). Tonight she brought home Milly Molly Mandy, but choose to read Akimbo and the Lions. I'll just write that in her reading diary because she's not got to play the numbers game and her reading will improve as long as she's reading a range of texts, not just every book in a level.

FFS the banded book publishers, like ORT, produce very comprehensive tools for assessing children so that they can be correctly placed on their finely graded bands. No where have I ever read a recommendation that DCs should read every book in a level.

Maybe you should send the school a link to that Ofsted report ... or the governors!?!

pointythings Fri 27-Jun-14 08:13:15

My DDs' primary did not make them read every book in a band by a long shot. Jumping bands was quite a normal thing, and both DDs ended up being given the Jackdaws (harder books within a band) straight away when they went up a band because that was what they were ready for.

DD2 did get put back on scheme books for a term or so in Year 5 because the school brought in books up to Pearl/Diamond, but she found them quite enjoyable. She wasn't on them long either.

The school now runs reading groups for readers at all levels, and they tend not to use scheme books from Yr4 upwards - instead they pick 'real' books which fit into the level where the group is. I believe there is a resource somewhere which maps books into scheme levels, but no idea where it lives. It lets children read enjoyable high quality books alongside the phonics-based books so not a zero sum game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now