Year 2 child working at 1a for maths.

(9 Posts)
NickiFury Tue 17-Jun-14 16:10:48

End of year 2. Would you expect to have been spoken to about this.

I am not being precious but this is another thing on quite a long list of non communication from the school including the fact that dd has an IEP that she's been on for two terms but I have only seen copies if today when I rang up to request them (again).

Thanks.

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 17-Jun-14 16:15:52

Perhaps she is already receiving numeracy support?

NickiFury Tue 17-Jun-14 16:21:00

No she isn't. It's not on the IEP that only received today.

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 17-Jun-14 17:45:25

I would be making an appointment with the SENCo to ask for clarification.

Fragglewump Tue 17-Jun-14 17:48:18

I would be concerned. Does your dd have issues that you know of?

Finola1step Tue 17-Jun-14 17:55:17

Working at 1a at then end of Year 2 means that she is approx 1 year behind her peers nationally (assuming that your dd has had the full 2 years in KS1 and some Reception schooling). 1a is roughly the expectation for the end of Year 1 as long as there have been no breaks in schooling.

So yes, you should have been informed that your dd was having difficulty in maths. There is a big however. Has she been assessed as 1a by the teacher and this is backed up by a maths test or task? Or did they simply give her a level 2 maths test, let her get on with it, she's had a bad day and not scored high enough for a level 2?

If the latter is the case, she may well be a level 2 but not on the test given IYSWIM.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 18:03:54

The expected level for the end of KS1 is level 2 she's one step away from that

NickiFury Tue 17-Jun-14 18:15:55

Yes she has ASD, but this supposedly does not affect her academically and has not up till now. I actually spoke to the SENCO today, about SLT provision that they'd decided she doesn't really need thought SLT says she does hmm. It came up that she was on an IEP, I didn't even know this had not received a copy etc.

She's 2c+ and 2b+ for her other levels so I suppose THATS something to be grateful for.

tiggytape Tue 17-Jun-14 22:30:17

That isn't good. For a start an IEP requires your input and ideally your DD's too. It isn't supposed to be possible for her to have one without you knowing because the whole point is that you are involved in drafting it.

The levels in themselves are mostly fine. The maths level might indicate that she is struggling generally with maths or it might mean she has a particular area of difficulty or weakness. A level alone won't tell you this - hopefully the teacher will be able to say.

A for them trying to overrule a SLT on a matter concerning SLT - well yes hmm indeed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now