Parent friendly summary Objectives KS1/ 2 Maths curriculum

(62 Posts)
PastSellByDate Thu 12-Jun-14 12:42:01

Hello there:

I've stumbled across this today - found it useful/ clear summary of what your child should be taught/ able to do by year and rather wish I'd been aware of this way back when DD1 was starting Year 1 (DD1 now Y6).

michaelt1979.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/maths-key-objectives1.pdf

I hope this link will be of help to you

PSBD

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 17:58:35

So you would find it useful for me to tell you that the class are adding and subtracting 1 - digit and 2 - digit numbers to 20, including zero even though your child is adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators and mixed numbers this week?

diamondage Tue 17-Jun-14 18:42:09

mrz surely the point is that the information is particularly helpful if a child is behind - a parent doesn't need to consider providing extra support if their child is ahead, they only need to know their DC are making the appropriate progress, even if this isn't entirely linear on a year by year basis.

Whilst I have had no problem finding detailed information regarding the current (soon to be old) curriculum in the form of APP grids, it's not necessarily what everyone might call "parent friendly".

The new curriculum has clear expectations of what is to be taught each year and it will be interesting to see how the language changes on here. I predict that no longer will parents say my child is working at Level X, instead they will say my year 3 child is still working though the year 1 curriculum, or my year 1 child is working 3 years ahead and has nearly finished all of the year 4 maths curriculum.

It won't change because a significant proportion of the human population to want to measure everything and categorise it. Parents particularly want to know how their children are coping with school and not all people trust professionals and not all professionals deserve our trust.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 18:48:32

How helpful is it for me to tell you your child is working onidentifying "one more" and "one less" but the class are working on simultaneous equations?

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 18:58:43

Er yes why on earth wouldn't I?confused

In a comprehensive list like the one in the op would be very useful.You can see where they've come from,where they're going and any gaps.You can also ask questions if there are concerns.

I'm amazed at how schools want support from parents but want to give out as minimal info as poss.The more info you have,the more you can support.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:04:28

Really ? There is approx 8 years gap between what "your child" can do and what the rest of the class are learning ... I would want to know how I could help my child master what they need and what will be the next step for "my child"

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:09:04

Well that's you,not me.

I'd like to also have a comprehensive list of what is/has and will be covered.I don't like being in the dark and if school want my support I like to have as much info as possible.

So not seeing why this would be an issue.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:11:26

but your child won't be covering it ... at least not in the foreseeable future ...perhaps in EIGHT years time when chances are there will be a brand new curriculum to follow

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:13:01

It is very useful to see national expectations and where/how your child fits in.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:14:51

Perhaps it's just me ... all I care about is how to help my child progress

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:16:13

Says you.

My child was written off last year re maths.Prior to the nice supportive and informative teachers she has this year I had to rely on my own research and work with her from it.Said list would have saved me a lot of hassle and is more detailed/ accurate/ up to date.

Thanks to the work I researched and did and the teachers she's had this year my dd is now flying.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:17:10

Says the mother of a son with SEN

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:21:26

We all have different circumstances and children but all should have the same info. With holding info for the maj for a few isn't on.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:29:58

I don't want to know what my child CAN'T do only what they can do and what they need to do next.

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:33:07

Well that's you.You don't speak for all parents.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:38:20

I did say it was me ... but I can also speak for the hundreds of parents I have worked with as a SENCO who overwhelmingly don't want to be told what their child can't do.

diamondage Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:41

This is semantics surely, what children need to do next is something they can't already do?

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:49:15

You seem to spectacularly missing the point that national expactations may be totally beyond the child's current ability so next step needs to be achieveable not reaching for the moon.

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 19:52:57

Said sheet isn't an individual school report it's detailed info of statutory maths key objectives which the maj will and should obtain.

IsItFridayYetPlease Tue 17-Jun-14 19:55:48

Surely "This is the Year 4 Curriculum" is fine for the few that are slap bang in the middle of the Y4 expectations. But for the rest it is more useful to know what your child is learning that week/term/year. This is the challenge for us teachers; would you rather I spent my time writing personalised letters to each parent each term (which may be out of date or totally wrong by two weeks into term as they've acquired certain skills really quickly or lost skills and knowledge from a previous assessment so most of the focus of my teaching is re-establishing those skills before we can move on to the planned learning), or would you rather I work on identifying and meeting each child's needs, which requires constant reflection and adaption of the long term planning overview I start from? I really don't have time for both.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:56:17

Did I suggest it is an individual school report? The said doculumt is a notional list of what will be taught in particular year groups unless your child is struggling or more able in which case you need information will support your child.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 17-Jun-14 20:13:48

Technically it doesn't have to be taught to any child in those particular year groups though does it? I thought the new NC document was quite clear that the objectives only had to be taught by the end of the KS they occur in and it wasn't statutory to teach them in the year groups set out.

Obviously if OFSTED decide that that is what they will look for it will change things. But I suspect that if teaching, progress and attainment are all good, they aren't really going to care about the order of topics/objectives on a long term plan.

mrz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:18:28

I suspect you are correct

AlarmOnSnooze Tue 17-Jun-14 20:29:48

I have 2 dc in school. dd1 is 9, and technically in year 5. except she has severe ASD, is in a Sn school, and so not ctually in year 5, iyswim. In her case, it is totally irrelevant to me (and her) what the year 5 curriculum is (for any subject) - she isn't working at that level, or anywhere near it (and may never be). so what I need (and get) is a comprehensive breakdown of where she is now, and what will be done next. and by comprehensive, I mean comprehensive - her IEPs are about 20 pages long, and set out exactly what she is learning, across the curriculum, in detail.

dd2 is 7, and also has SN (she is also on the spectrum), but is, generally speaking, academically advanced, although there are some surprising troughs which go alongside her peaks. what I need for her, is to know how she is doing in relation to her peers, and in relation to national expectations. In the areas she is ahead, I need to know how far ahead (so as to see whether she is keeping pace with herself, not coasting, and that nothing is being overlooked leading to nasty surprises later on). In the areas she is behind, I need to know how far behind, so as to know whether it is realistic for her to catch up, or if we need to start looking at huge amounts of differentiation. dd2 is in a MS school, and to have a document like the one linked at the top of the thread owuld be invauable. I have asked and asked all year to know (in a concise yet comprehensive form) what topics will be looked at. dd2's teacher has agreed to let me know, but despite repeated reminders, nothing has come of it. I know dd2's supposed NC levels, but that is all. because of this, and because I am not a primary teacher, I have no idea how to best set about helping her.

I have spent years helping dd1, and I am well versed (thanks to helpful input and info from dd1's school and teachers) in what size steps need to be taken, and in what order. Thanks o little input and unclear data (NC levels by themselves tell me nothing about what dd2 actually understands), I am less than certain about how to set about helping dd2 with her difficulties (and sadly, school are not picking up that slack either). So I can do the basics - I can work through times tables with her, I can teach her to tell the time. We can work on money concepts. But even in these basic areas, I have no idea what the baseline is that dd2 'should' know by now - I do know she struggles with feelign secure with her maths, but I don't know where the line is between her feeling insecure, and what is actually a bit too advanced for her (generally speaking).

AlarmOnSnooze Tue 17-Jun-14 20:34:31

The rubbish I read about not being able to provide decent, solid info on where a child is at, in attainment terms, is quite frankly, alarming.

I know what info can be provided on a child and their attainment levels, and progress (both predicted and actual). I get this info, once a term, from dd1's school. yes, I realise that some of it is outdated by the time I read it, but given that is is at most 12 weeks before I get a nw set of data, then the fact that some of it is behind the times is not so concerning - over time the pattern builds and it is easy to see the pattern.

There is no reason why this information cannot be supplied for my dd2 as well. when I do manage to speak to her teachers and support staff, it is clear they do actually hold (some of) the data. why they are so reluctant to share it with me (yet expect me to fill in the gaps they are leaving in her education) is beyond me.

Retropear Tue 17-Jun-14 20:50:03

I'm more alarmed that teachers think parents are so surplus to requirement they think we should be denied info as regards the bigger picture and national statutory objectives.

So you want us to help them learn tables and support their maths homework but don't think we should see where they are as regards national objectives or where they're aiming for long term,how everything slots together,progression etc

The more info parents get the better.

Really think it's time this arrogance by some was made history.Applauds the teachers who are happy to keep parents fully informed,it makes such a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now