Why would my DD and 2 other children have to sit an extra maths test on their own?

(110 Posts)
Campaspe Wed 04-Jun-14 18:03:45

DD is in year 2 and has just done her SATS. Just before half-term, when they were doing their SATS, she told me she had to complete a maths booklet with a cat on it, which she found very difficult. Today, DD and 2 other children from her class had to go and sit another maths booklet that apparently had a cat on the front of it. I assume this is because she struggled with the first one - the second one was much easier apparently - so they wanted to see if she could do an easier paper. But why? Can any teachers shed any light on this? DD didn't mind doing it, she was just puzzled.

mrz Sat 07-Jun-14 09:05:34

If the teacher assesses the child as level 3 they select a level 3 test if they assess the child as level 1 they select the level 1 task ... teachers using both are clearly not confident in their own assessments which is the level that has to be reported (not the test results).

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 07-Jun-14 09:17:06

TBF the guidelines did only say consider giving the test. If you have enough evidence to show that they are not a level 3 then there's no need to even consider it. But that should be part of your normal teaher assessment anyway.

What worries me about the OP's situation is that there is no value at all in giving the level 2 test after the level 3. Unless the result of that test is making up a considerable part of your TA and you need to decide on the sub level.

mrz Sat 07-Jun-14 09:23:32

Surely if you gave the level 3 test you have evidence that is where the child is working ... since the test can be given at any point in the year a child tested in the autumn term will/should be working at a very different level by the end of the year to the test results.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 07-Jun-14 09:27:27

You would think so. But given some of the procedures described on this thread alone and that this subject comes up on here every year, who knows what is actually happening.

mrz Sat 07-Jun-14 09:34:02

It's very evident there is a great deal of maladministration and poor practice happening

IsItFridayYetPlease Sat 07-Jun-14 10:13:10

But there is also issues from parents sides. Each year we see MN posts asking where they can find the tests, so they can test their children at home. Test are KING in many parents eyes, so with pressure like that from parents schools are in an uphill battle

Disclaimer - I am a Year 2 teacher of many years who follows the regulations and keeps tasks and tests very low key. Most of mine were completed in February / March, so cannot be used as a final level of the year. Usefully timed when parents ask what they can to make sure their child does well in the test, not so useful when parents ask to see the test papers and dispute my levels. Before people say I should be explaining; it is explained on our website, in our brochure, on the Year 2 page of the website, on the termly newsletter that goes home, at parents evenings termly, in my annual assessment information evening, to the children. We are an "outstanding" school, where children make "better than expected" progress and with a higher % work "above age expectations". We have a rigorous internal moderation, we cross-moderate with local schools, I am a LA moderator out visiting schools across the LA to look at their judgements. Parents know all this, yet tests are all that matter to them. It takes a strong will to battle that pressure and stand up to the constant complaints and challenges. (this time of year it is exhausting with the extra appointments parents request prior to the main parents evening to talk about tests!)

mrz Sat 07-Jun-14 13:51:11

I suppose that's one positive to the new tests in 2016

mrz Tue 10-Jun-14 06:16:55

MotleyCroup I contacted the Maths star website and they apologised for the errors on the site and say they have corrected it. However on closer look there are a number of errors in their KS1 information page

MotleyCroup Tue 10-Jun-14 07:10:45

Good for you Mrz. Worrying that there's further errors.

mrz Tue 10-Jun-14 07:28:21

From a quick look

This whole section

What is included?
The Key Stage 1 Tasks and Tests cover:

Reading and comprehension
Writing (including spelling and handwriting)
Speaking and listening
Mathematics
Science

While the children no longer sit formal SATs papers, they are helpful practice to make sure your child has understood what they have been taught in Infants School and to aid revision.

There are no S&L or Science tasks or tests
and children do sit "formal SATs papers"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now