Lyndhurst House / Arnold House "Problem" PLEASE HELP

(8 Posts)
mummywearsflats Tue 03-Jun-14 14:18:46

My son has a confirmed place at Lyndhurst House Prep School from Sep 2014 and we just got offered a place for him for Arnold House for 5+ for Sep 2015.

So basically he will go to LH anyway this year and I love the school. But what should I do now with AH? Should I just take him out of LH after one year and send him to AH? Is AH much better than LH? I am so confused now and I don't want to just confirm AH too and pay them £2000 deposit.

I want him to be happy and thrive and I really don't know at this stage which school will suit him on a long run.

Please help me to decide if it would be worth all the stress for my son to move him yet again after one year.

dietcokefan Tue 03-Jun-14 15:40:34

I don't know the two schools but FWIW my daughter is about to change schooks at the end of reception. We have just told her and she took it very well and is now excited about the move. Her current head said that he had never known problems with moving at this age and that the worst reaction was likely to be a few tears when told.

ThisOneAndThatOne Tue 03-Jun-14 21:27:15

Lydhurst is essentially not a selective school. I think it prides itself on being a local school for local families. It is one form entry and has a strong sibling policy. Do you have a younger DS that would benefit from this?

Arnold House is a bit more selective and is two form entry.

From memory, the buildings and facilities are much better at Arnold House as you would expect from a larger school.

So it really boils down to what sort of school you would prefer for your boy. And also where you live as you can't underestimate the importance of the logistics of getting him to and from school.

I would go for Arnold House over Lydhurst every time. But that I just me and my family.

ThisOneAndThatOne Tue 03-Jun-14 21:38:34

Another important factor is that Lydhurst is privately owned whereas Arnold House is a charity.

hampsteadmum Tue 03-Jun-14 22:34:42

Lots of people do exactly that OP. they send their DS to LH for Reception and then to AH or the Hall for Year 1. You won't be the first or last. AH is perceived as a more desirable school. Whether rightly or wrongly it is perhaps a different matter. I think AH has a lower turnover of students but I may be wrong on that. LH is owned by the Loveridges who also own Devonshire House. I hear it is on the up, but by and large people prefer AH to it.

mummywearsflats Thu 05-Jun-14 13:25:22

thanks for your comments. But does anyone know what makes AH the better school or is LH just as good?

berlutibrogues Sun 14-Sep-14 12:20:57

Hi my ds went to lyndhurst for reception and then onto AH for year 1. We always knew we would be transferring out and let our son know so it wouldn't be much of a shock for him when it happened. Lyndhurst whilst a good school is not in the same league as AH. My son is extremely happy at AH and is progressing fantastically well. AH is much better academically, the teachers are kinder and more caring, it has a fantastically nurturing atmosphere and the boys all turn out amazingly well. I don't know of a single parent who isn't happy that their ds goes to AH but I do know a few that wish they could transfer out of Lyndhurst. Its a no brainer !

tom12345 Sat 27-Aug-16 01:01:16

My Son went to Lyndhurst house and to be honest if i had my time back i would have picked somewhere else.
We personally found Mr Reid the Head to be a hostile man who was very happy to pack the tiny classrooms with children , going from thirteen at time of his appointment to seventeen within a few years and insisted on every class having at least one child on a statement simply to tick the ofstead report box .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now