Betty Layward Primary School Hackney

(10 Posts)
crettabake Thu 01-May-14 15:55:08

We're moving within catchment of BL soon, is it any good? We've heard mixed reports and the latest Ofsted is not great. Are there any schools in the Stoke Newington area to totally avoid??! Any help greatly appreciated

totallydrawn Fri 02-May-14 00:50:52

We visited it last year for our dd and weren't impressed. Not keen on HT or layout. Pupils seemed unruly.

toothlessdragon Fri 02-May-14 15:25:58

We're there. I think it had a raw deal with Ofsted and I don't think it's great, esp considering how other local schools have upped the game. But it has many good points and generally a friendly feeling to it, with low staff turnover. Feels more agreeable and peaceful than some other local outstanding/good schools. So if you're moving into the area, I wouldn't panic. Tbh distances are so small you are unlikely to have any choice about where you go anyway. Tip: the ones you might want to avoid are the ones that are undersubscribed (you can find this will be on the Learning Trust website)

crettabake Tue 06-May-14 19:17:26

Thanks for the replies, it's very helpful to get some insight. We'll take a look around the school and take it from there I guess...

spicywicy Sat 17-May-14 20:11:23

I share the comments already made about BL however the exec head seems to be having a positive impact and turning the school around. Staff turnover will be quite high this year as many staff have resigned and if you believe the playground talk this includes members of the SLT. Neighbouring schools may be a better option if you can get in but as toothlessdragon says these will inevitably be over-subscribed!

mumoftwo100 Sat 17-May-14 20:36:05

Why Betty Layward? IMO William Patten is much better, Outstanding Ofsted, much better value add and results.

toothlessdragon Mon 19-May-14 11:37:42

Presumably because OP is moving to nearby it and not near enough WP. I daresay plenty of us would like to go to William Patten but it is ludicrous to talk as if there is a free choice - even if you are looking at houses to move now - I know plenty of families who thought they had moved into the WP area and still missed out, ending up being sent to schools they thought very undesirable.

crettabake Mon 19-May-14 12:44:16

It's true, we will be WAY out of catchment for WP. Tbh I'm not sure we would even get in at BL, even though it's the nearest.
We plan to move in July so it will be an 'in year addmission'. I guess it's a lottery as to which places pop up (if any!) and where. In Sept our DS is due to start Yr 3 and our DD is due to start nursery. I suppose whichever one gets a place first will determine whether the other gets a place due to the 'sibling at the school' criteria?

toothlessdragon Mon 19-May-14 12:54:37

Well, there is movement in other years, even at WP - no harm in going on the waiting list for as many as you can as soon as you move. good luck!

crettabake Mon 19-May-14 14:08:31

Thanks toothlessdragon, you're right. We'll go on the waiting list for all the good local ones and keep our fingers crossed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now