Best way to find a tutor

(12 Posts)
SoonToBeSix Tue 29-Apr-14 14:42:05

My 9 year old dd is struggling in Maths and also struggles to write legibly although she has no other problems with literacy.
I would like to get her a tutor but have no idea where to find a reputable one. I am in the north west if that helps. Tia

Lucyccfc Tue 29-Apr-14 19:59:31

Hi, where about a are you in the NW?

SoonToBeSix Wed 30-Apr-14 13:18:34

Hi liverpool

meran Wed 30-Apr-14 13:23:05

Try first tutors. You can search for tutors in your area. You pay a small fee to get tutors details but you can contain tutors beforehand to ask questions.

fazzyd Wed 30-Apr-14 14:58:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SoonToBeSix Wed 30-Apr-14 22:11:42

Thanks meran I will have a look.

SoonToBeSix Wed 30-Apr-14 22:12:10

Fazzyd , thanks but Manchester is too far.

ImperialBlether Wed 30-Apr-14 22:14:57

Hi

I have friends in the Ormskirk and Aintree area who have taught for many, many years (just retired) and are working as tutors. If you're interested, let me know.

IB

SoonToBeSix Wed 30-Apr-14 22:22:44

I would be Imperial but I live in South Liverpool I doubt they would travel that far unless they are up my way anyway ?if so would you pm me thanks

AdeptusMechanicus Wed 30-Apr-14 22:42:31

Could any of your dd's teachers be able to suggest any private tutors they know?

PastSellByDate Thu 01-May-14 10:47:38

Hi Soontobesix:

To be brutally honest - with maths you need clear explanation/ examples of how to do it shown to you and practise. We had great success with Mathsfactor - but others on Mumsnet have praised Komodo maths/ Maths whizz/ Mathletics. Just use your search engine to find out more information/ prices. These all use video game formats to help build skills/ confidence. Some are more competitive than others - but with so many writing her on MN about their success with these - this may be worth a try. It will work out cheaper than a tutor and gives you the flexibility of doing extra work in maths as and when time allows (i.e. you don't have to commit to getting your child to a tutor/ or the tutor coming to you every Wednesday evening).

With handwriting - I found with DD2 the transition from 'print' to 'cursive'/ joined up writing was a disaster. DD2 had beautiful cursive handwriting, but it was relatively small-sized. Her teacher was absolutely adamant that her handwriting had to be larger (about 2x the size) - and DD2 found this unnatural and just kind of fell to pieces. Her writing really suffered.

Our solution was the Collins Easy Hand Writing guides: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=collins+easy+hand+writing&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acollins+easy+hand+writing - there's a guide and 2 workbooks. By the end - because it showed how to form the letters - she was much better. Also found the guides were very helpful with teaching some grammar/ spelling rules as well.

HTH

SoonToBeSix Thu 01-May-14 19:01:10

Adeptus , I am not sure I didn't think of that.
Thanks past sell by date for taking the time to write your post it's really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now