Somerford Primary, Christchurch

(8 Posts)
Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 02-May-14 09:16:47

I don't know anything about Somerford primary, except that it is about to have a new headteacher, who is an executive headteacher who helps other schools. She is moving from Milford on Sea primary to Somerford.

jules1308 Wed 30-Apr-14 21:35:25

I spoke to Dorset Council and was told that Somerford is the only school with places available. Will double check before I put my application in.

JustJazz Mon 28-Apr-14 13:33:19

Did they not have any space at Burton? They usually do. I only ask as just wondered, as your not local if you'd discounted it because it's slightly outside Christchurch.
Burton also has a bad reputation locally having been in special measures a few years ago, but having seen the school, I thought it was great. I also know some parents with children there & they all rate it.

jules1308 Sun 27-Apr-14 12:52:25

Thanks. All the responses I've had from parents who's children actually go there have been really positive. Going for a visit in a couple of weeks but will definitely be in touch if I have more questions. smile

Ds2 is currently in Year 1 at Somerford as DS1's school was, and is, oversubscribed.

He's thriving academically and socially and enjoys going to school. Long may that continue! grin

You may not always hear good opinions of Somerford locally but a lot of those won't be based on the current facts. As the PP said the school has improved a lot in recent years.

If you want to know anything in particular feel free to PM me.

jules1308 Sat 26-Apr-14 07:41:12

Thanks Chilli, it's good to hear positive things as it looks like it's going to be our only option smile

ChilliJo Fri 25-Apr-14 23:01:48

I don't know much about the school but I do know that a few years ago it was in a bad way and a fabulous headteacher can in and turned it around in quite impressive style. He then left at the end of the 2011/12 academic year and came to my DC's school where he is working wonders. The comments I hear in passing are that it's a 'good' school but that's not from anyone currently directly associated with it. My friend had it as her second choice for 2014 Reception allocation so she must have thought reasonably highly of it (her 1st choice was a village primary she can see out her kitchen window, whereas Somerford was quite some distance in comparison.

Sorry, not much help there, was I?blush

Good luck for your move, I'm sure it will work out fine.

jules1308 Fri 25-Apr-14 17:31:48

We're planning to move to Christchurch in the Summer but Somerford Primary is the only school with a Year 1 place available for my son. It seems to have improved a lot over the last couple of years, but just wondered if anyone has children that go there / live locally and could give me some inside info ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now