Primary School Allocations - Local Chat

(19 Posts)
LocalEditorBournemouth Wed 16-Apr-14 13:09:28

Hi everyone

The Bournemouth and Poole thread is over here.

Come over and have a chat.

LocalEditorOxford Wed 16-Apr-14 12:00:16

Hi all - Oxford and Oxfordshire both have threads ready and waiting:

Oxfordshire Allocations

Oxford Allocations

Please come along and discuss your experiences of the local schools

OldMrsSaucepan Wed 16-Apr-14 09:15:14
WalkingThePlank Wed 16-Apr-14 08:19:29

Here is the link for Croydon

I feel a bit sick just thinking about it. Hopefully there will be some Croydon experts on line later to help those who have been allocated schools that they are not sure about.

whatcolour Tue 15-Apr-14 22:26:52

I think it's a great idea - insider knowledge of schools that may not be 1st choice smile

LocalEditorNottingham Tue 15-Apr-14 22:21:40

Yes my local thread links back to the national site advice section, which links to chat, so anyone seriously looking into appealing will find their way to the experts here.

Local provides access to knowledge about the schools themselves.

LocalEditorRedbridge Tue 15-Apr-14 18:48:42

We've set one up for the London Borough of Redbridge here: local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_redbridge/2054666-Primary-school-places

Best of luck, everyone! Our household is waiting as well.

Nlondondad, it is certainly a lot less clear-cut in the London boroughs, for primary and secondary school allocations.

We have similar issues in Merton: children living and primary schools situated on the borders with Sutton, Wandsworth and Kingston, with some families finding themselves in borough border school "no-man's-land."

A suggestion would be to post on related threads across the Local sites covered by the areas mentioned.

nlondondad Tue 15-Apr-14 17:35:20

The problem with primary allocations in the Crouch End, Highgate, Archway, Whitehall Park area is that there are two main boroughs, more or less equally involved, Islington and Haringey, and even Camden gets a look in. So there is no obvious "local" place to put the discussion....

Merton's thread is here

holdtheanchoviesplease Tue 15-Apr-14 12:04:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MNManchTraffordStockportTame Tue 15-Apr-14 11:06:00

We have a thread here for Manchester & Trafford local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_manchester_trafford/2054317-Primary-schools-allocations-appeals

Please ignore the second thread waiting for it to be taken down... wrong links blush

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 15-Apr-14 10:51:49

I imagine it could be a useful local fact finding thread e.g. "anyone out there know X school - we've been allocated it and it wasn't one of our top 3" I may need it myself

I'll ask if the Manchester Local Editor has set up a thread.

LocalEditorWandsworth Tue 15-Apr-14 09:49:23

prh47bridge - true but we are there for those looking for local insight not school appeals professionals, which let's be honest is a step that shouldn't come until after you've done your local research and investigated your options.

Chatting to locals can help you find out about a school you've been offered that wasn't your first choice or finding out how the waiting lists move. Certainly in my 'patch' there is a lot of movement on waiting lists where people take up private places instead - if you ask around you can see how likely you are to get a place based on what number you are.

LocalEditorWandsworth Tue 15-Apr-14 09:42:31

One for Wandsworth here

Good luck everyone.

prh47bridge Tue 15-Apr-14 09:38:53

I do not visit the various local threads looking for people wanting help with appeals. I suspect the same is true for the other experts who offer advice. I would strongly recommend that anyone wanting advice posts on the Primary Education board. Appeals are the same wherever you are in England.

whatcolour Tue 15-Apr-14 09:29:04

What about one for Manchester please

LocalEditorNottingham Tue 15-Apr-14 09:22:44

We have a 'primary allocations appeals' thread here:
local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_nottingham/2054037-Primary-admissions-appeals

If anyone in Nottingham (the whole city inc. bits of county) wants to share good news, or just chat more generally about shchools, you're very welcome to come over and start a related thread.

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 15-Apr-14 08:45:03

I know lots of people are waiting until midnight tonight for their email / or their letter tomorrow ....

If you wanted to discuss anything with local parents there are threads on the local pages. Here's a link to the one in Cambridge - you can ask about schools, appeals etc. and local parents might be able to help.

Cambridge Primary School Thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now