Ds reception - is it good idea to get A level student to read with my son 2 evenings a week?

(31 Posts)
coolpaper Mon 14-Apr-14 20:35:00

Just straggling to find enough time to read and to spend quality time with books. Work full time and very demanding hours etc. I could ask round if any gcse or a level students would be willing to come for 1 hour to read with him? Is it a good idea?

ReallyTired Tue 15-Apr-14 08:22:27

Are you finding getting your child to practice reading scheme books a battle? Even some stay at home mothers find getting a resistant child to read is hard.

I think its a great idea to get a student to help you out rather like a mothers' help. Why don't you get the student to do some housework after 15 minutes of reading. It would free up your time to spend quality time with your son.

littleducks Tue 15-Apr-14 08:27:16

I found it hard to find time after school and work. Ds was tired so it took forever and much persuasion to start. In the mornings it was much easier and became the 5 min job it should be.

sybilfaulty Tue 15-Apr-14 17:20:56

We don't always get our school book changed so we have a selection of the ORT books which I bough- they are often cheap in charity shops or the book people sometimes have sets. That way we can read whatever he likes. I don't think it matters too much what you read do long as you did it regularly.

Like the idea of buying some help to free you up to spend more time with your son or indeed doing something for yourself. Would a cleaner / ironing person be viable?

coolpaper Tue 15-Apr-14 21:41:32

Yes agree.better housework help thanks everyone for advice

Ferguson Tue 15-Apr-14 22:04:46

I was a primary TA for over twenty years, and one of the main problems I found in supporting reading that one often does not get long enough with each child.

Obviously, one would not do reading for an hour with a Reception child, 5, 10 or 15 minutes looking at books, and reading for some of that time is more than sufficient. But, a SENSIBLE student, who LIKES young children (and many probably don't) could share reading, playing with Lego, drawing, maybe a music or dance activity, might be a possibility.

But as others have said, more help in the house (maybe from a student on a hotel or catering type of course) might free up time for you to interact more with DS.

(And does Dad come into this domestic situation anywhere?)

htm123 Wed 16-Apr-14 10:10:50

Agree with you all who said that reading 5-15 minutes everyday should be like the bedtime routine. A child can read during parent's cooking or ironing, or before the bedtime. We did that since our child was little, and he is now Y5, loves books ( he always spends his pocket money on buying books of his choice). His vocabulary is very advanced as a result of reading and also helped him be one whole level above the National expected level. Still remember my child sitting in the shopping trolley reading to me from a book of his choice whilst I was doing my weekly shop when he was in Y2! Never read allow reading in the car as it was making him sick :0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now